Question Home security alarm/cctv recommendations?

sykim423rose

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently looking into a security alarm system for my house but am struggling with the vast amount of security companies out there.

Having looked at a few, I think I would prefer a smart system. I'm preferably looking for:
  • Security cameras of good quality (preferably 1080p) for both inside and outside use. (weatherproof (outdoor camera min IP66) and good night vision, at least 20m)
  • The ability to check in via live stream on the cameras.
  • Any audio (2-way or not) would be great but not necessary.
  • Cameras that will alert (via app) whenever movement is detected and automatically takes and send a photo of the detected movement. This is because we have a pet and in our previous alarm company's technology kept going off every time our pet moved and we had no way of checking!
  • The ability to store the footage somewhere so that it can be reviewed within ~ a week and hopefully stored somewhere? I don't mind whether that would be a cloud or onto a usb or something, but
  • A functional app that actually works and doesn't break with every software update. I've read one too many reviews about systems being non-functional after an app update and I'd hate that to happen.
  • I'd ideally like a wired system with a battery backup, but this is not 100% compulsory.
  • An alarm system: preferably with an external siren, which is triggered by doors/windows opening or glass breaking
  • A somewhat decent customer service, just in case something goes wrong.
  • Pro monitoring would be a great but I would be happy to just review footage myself, as long as I would be alerted when something happened (ie the motion sensor alerts)

Is it at all possible to get all these things within one company's security system or would I have to do the alarm and security footage separately? Is this an unrealistic set of ideals for one security system?

Has anyone had any experience with alarm/cctv companies they've used and recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Probably one of the newer alarm companies that have appeared like Verisure will probably offer all that you want for a nice hefty monthly fee. Just read the small print carefully to understand exactly what you are paying for and check your termination / cancellation fees. Decent customer service, I believe that is only available in certain areas (normally anywhere that there is a unicorn farm). I cant personally recommend them, but they do advertise all of the 'smart features' that you have requested.
If you want advice on good quality CCTV and a stand alone alarm system that has an app, more than happy to help.

Probably one of the newer alarm companies that have appeared like Verisure will probably offer all that you want for a nice hefty monthly fee. Just read the small print carefully to understand exactly what you are paying for and check your termination / cancellation fees. Decent customer service, I believe that is only available in certain areas (normally anywhere that there is a unicorn farm). I cant personally recommend them, but they do advertise all of the 'smart features' that you have requested.
If you want advice on good quality CCTV and a stand alone alarm system that has an app, more than happy to help.
I have actually looked at Versiure, but was told that outdoor security cameras were not supported and I read several reviews that their indoor cameras were not as high a quality as I would've liked.

If you have any recommendations for stand alone alarm and CCTV systems, that would be incredibly appreciated!

Last edited:
Camera wise you have 2 real options.
1. Semi pro system - Hikvision / Dahua with its own NVR. These are POE cabled solutions, no monthly fees and are very high quality. Basic app, but is very robust and are high quality.
2. Commercial Domestic CCTV - Arlo, Ring, Google Nest cams etc. These are often wireless 'stick up cams', they have pretty apps that are very easy to use, but often require a monthly fee for storage and the image quality is generally not as good as option 1.
Cost wise, for a 4 camera system they cost approximately the same as option 1 will require an NVR and cabling.

Alarm wise there are lots of options.
At the top end, something like a Honeywell alarm, Grade 2/3 professionally installed alarm, probably around £1000
Mid ground - a wireless alarm like a Texecom Ricochet, Visonic, Pyronic Enforcer. Easy to install, very reliable, come with an app.
Budget - Yale alarms (found in B&Q) or ERA myguard

'Smart' Alarm - these are gaining popularity but are not really a fully accredited and ceritfied alarm system - Hive Home, Simplisafe, Somfy, Hive Home etc.
These are more of a lifestyle product and often integrate a variety of wireless sensors, including cameras, PIRs, door sensors, smoke alarms etc into a single hub.

Or you can look to go with another monitored alarm company such as ADT

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom