Home refurb and home cinema lite

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by robinjfisher, Feb 10, 2009.

1. robinjfisher

robinjfisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Me and my wife have just bought a house which was in need of some refurbishment and as part of this, I've been allowed to install a home cinema system in the lounge.

My equipment is:

Toshiba 32WLT58
    Denon AVR-2309
    Q-Acoustics 1010i home cinema speakers

I will also have hooked into this a HTPC running Vista and MediaPortal, Sky HD, Xbox 360.

These will all be stored in the upstairs box room with cables running under the floorboards to the lounge.

I've added a couple of pictures. The chimney breast will be built out with studwork so that the TV and front speakers can be recessed.

There is one area on which I would like some advice. The wife would like an electric fire under the centre speaker so I am looking for something that is fairly wide but not too high. Also, can anybody point me to any other installs with a fire on the bottom so I can get an idea of what it will look like.

I'll update this thread as and when I visit in daylight hours. Unfortunately, the electrics rewire is not complete so no lights yet!

Robin

Attached Files:

2. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Hey Robin,

looks like you've got your work cut out. Nice ideas there. Definately worth having a HTPC, I've had one for years now and would never look back.

In terms of a fire under the centre speaker/TV i don't think it would look bad at all but then it depends what kind of fire you want, is it a floating fire or a stand alone fire you (I mean the wife lol) want.

Cheers

3. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
  4. robinjfisher

robinjfisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She's after a wall mounted electric fire. My concern is that it will push the TV too high although that can be compensated for by a tilting bracket.

This is the one in question:

Tuscany Wall Hung Electric Fire, 5023539422001

Robin

5. robinjfisher

robinjfisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a small delay waiting for the electrics rewire, there is finally a bit more progress.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures but this shows the HDMI and speaker cables exiting in the box room and also the beginning of the extended chimney breast.

Robin

Attached Files:

6. silver12

silver12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just thought I'd let you know - B&Q charge a big premium for their fires (everything!) so you'd be able to get it much much cheaper from a 'proper' fire shop, if there is one near you.

You'll save around 20-30%, which can always come in handy for a mini cinema fridge...?

7. robinjfisher

robinjfisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy days on this...managed to find a second hand one on eBay (9 months old) for £162. A complete bargain given that B&Q are still selling them.

Hopefully more photos later of the complete studwork.

Robin

8. robinjfisher

robinjfisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick pic of the completed false chimney breast (minus the hole for the centre speaker when this was taken). Everything just about fits - I needed to pad the holes a bit with some plywood so the speakers have a snug fit. Should be plastered today.

[edit] Also received my Harmony 885 and Marmitek IR extenders yesterday. Sky HD was installed at the weekend and the 10m HDMI under the floorboards works perfectly. Equipment wise, I'm ready to go - just need the room finished!

Robin

Attached Files: