• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home plugs with wireless router?

kappy1686

Established Member
Hi, is it possible to use a pair of homeplugs with a wireless router (apple time capsule) to create wired/wireless network, basically i want wireless option for my laptop and iphone via the router, which it already does, but want to hardwire my htpc and ps3 using homeplugs.

Thanks

Duncan1234

Standard Member
Yup it is possible unless some issue exists which only applys to the Router you own, which is highly unlikely with home plugs.

Great way to expand a network over a house! I use it myself, two wireless routers in house. One simply used as a wireless access point which takes in the internet signal from a homeplug. This router also plugs into my 360 and ps3 in bedroom, works great!

kappy1686

Established Member
Cool thanks for the quick reply, that's perfect, ill prob get them end of the week now, also interesting what you said about creating another wireless network just as a access point, that makes for interesting reading.

:smashin:

Kawsar17

Banned
Hi, I've got a similar problem.

Basically I' ve got a wireless router which I use my laptop and ps3 with.

My pc is on a standard wired connection.

I want my ps3 to have the highest connection speed without using ethernet cables.

So do I basically just invest in a pair of homeplugs and if so which ones(14mbps, 85mbps or 200mbps)?

Any help would be great, thanks

Kawsar17

Banned
One more thing, will using homeplugs give me the same connection speed as using a 20m ethernet cable?

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
One more thing, will using homeplugs give me the same connection speed as using a 20m ethernet cable?

No, however:

Typically 100 Base-T Ethernet has a theoretical top speed of 100 Mb/s and because of the common use of switches these days, even with multiple users, one gets close to that.

85 Mb/s Homeplug has a theoretical top speed of 85 Mb/s however due to its protocol you won't get that. (I haven't done the tests but it WILL be a worse case than 100 Mb/s Ethernet.) In addition, because of a shared medium, multiple users can saturate it quite quickly.

Having said that, will a single domestic user notice the difference? The answer is: no.

Last edited:

Kawsar17

Banned
I've decided to get a pair of 85mbps homeplugs but don't know which brand to go for and where to get them from.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers:thumbsup:

RichieDan1978

Standard Member
I got a pair from PC World. Have a look on their site for the web exclusive prices. In store the pair I got should have been £60ish, I got mine in store using the web exclusive price for abour £25. Bargain. I was a bit reluctant at first, but it works a treat.

t72bogie

Prominent Member
just shop around for the best deal - there are only 2 chipset vendors for these things and at 85Mbps they are all Intellon ...in other words, other than colour, size of enclosure...oh and easy set-up software and support theres not much difference

so stick to one of the bigger brand names and you will be fine....I wouldnt buy the cheapest, never heard of one straight from China etc, as the software/set-up and on-line support may be a bit lacking

HenryHonda

Established Member
Hi, is it possible to use a pair of homeplugs with a wireless router (apple time capsule) to create wired/wireless network, basically i want wireless option for my laptop and iphone via the router, which it already does, but want to hardwire my htpc and ps3 using homeplugs.

Thanks

No probs - I use a SpeedTouch Wireless(g) Broadband Modem/Router hardwired to my two PCs upstairs. The wireless link sends jobs to a wireless(g) print server, my iPhone 3G, two wireless laptops and my Dell Axim PDA. The modem/router is also hardwired to a Devolo (AVDesk) 200Mbps mains networking adapter - with another in the lounge connected to my Denon AVR-3808 receiver, streaming mp3's and routing internet-delivered firmware updates to the Denon.

Dead easy to set-up :smashin:

Devolo kit from BroadBandBuyer.co.uk at really good prices.

steelercaz13

Standard Member
Yup it is possible unless some issue exists which only applys to the Router you own, which is highly unlikely with home plugs.

Great way to expand a network over a house! I use it myself, two wireless routers in house. One simply used as a wireless access point which takes in the internet signal from a homeplug. This router also plugs into my 360 and ps3 in bedroom, works great!

Hi there Duncan, or anybody else that can help me replicate this setup above! I just PM'd Duncan, but just in case he doesn't get it, here is a copy of the PM, for if anybody else can give me any advice, or point me in the right direction:

"Hi there

Hope you don' tmind me PM'ing you, but I am really looking for some help with my networking problem, and I saw the attached post from yourself, which, if I can replicate, will solve my problem:

Basically, I have 1 wireless router (a BT Home Hub) in a downstairs extension at one end of the house, whilst my bedroom is right at the other end upstairs, and there is zero signal due to a 1m thick stone wall between the extension and the house. The Home Hub has to stay where it is, so I can't move it into the main house, and I have tried wireless homeplugs (which I made work perfectly with my previous router), but can't get them to work with the HomeHub.

So... I bought some wired Homeplugs, and they work fine. However, I now require a wireless connection from my bedroom for my PSP, and after my experience with one lot of wireless Homeplugs am sceptical of trying again. So, searching for inspiration, I saw your message, and it seems perfect!

Am I understanding right that you have a router in one place, connected to a wired homeplug, and a homeplug receiver unit elsewhere in the houe, which is connected via ethernet to a 2nd router, which gives off a wireless signal?

If so, please help! How do I do that? I have the wired Homeplugs already, as well as a spare router, i.e. the old one I had before the Homehub. If you could give me any advice or point me in the right direction for advice, I would be HUGELY grateful!!

Thanks in advance,
Caroline"

Can anyone help?!! :lease:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Home Hub to Home plug followed by Homeplug to Wireless Access Point. (NOT a router.)

Not sure what you mean by 'wireless homeplugs'?

A

Andy1

Hi - perhaps I am a bit thick, but why does virtually every post re Homeplugs recommend 85meg minimum even when ( I assume for most users) the Homeplug will be used for surfing or online gaming ?

On the assumption that most households do not do much video streaming or have sophisticated wireless networks in their home, surely 14 meg should be the default because this is likely to be well in excess of most ISP download speeds ?

Obviously there are future proofing issues, but for most caual users surely 14 meg would be plenty ?

Not being bumptious, just curious.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
tbh I've not really send 14mbs stuff still for sale. And even if its was its probably a pound different.

Also remember that 14/85/200 is pie in the sky not real world figures. You'd be pushed under ideal circumstances to get 1/2 that.

Now assume most people can get 8mb on broadband it would mean their internal network is slower than t'internet. Also if you have more than one device, pc and xbox/ps3 both users will want to surf at full speed and both maybe sharing the 5-6mbs homeplug connection

just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head

Strobe

Prominent Member
Hi - perhaps I am a bit thick, but why does virtually every post re Homeplugs recommend 85meg minimum even when ( I assume for most users) the Homeplug will be used for surfing or online gaming ?

On the assumption that most households do not do much video streaming or have sophisticated wireless networks in their home, surely 14 meg should be the default because this is likely to be well in excess of most ISP download speeds ?

Obviously there are future proofing issues, but for most caual users surely 14 meg would be plenty ?

Not being bumptious, just curious.

Given falling prices of the the technology now that it is well established, I would recommend going to the other extreme and getting 200 meg versions! Lower rate are fine if all you are doing is surfing the net but in a modern house-hold where you may be looking at backing up over a network, streaming music, media, etc, then the faster the better. Just my tuppence worth. Comet do the latest 200 meg Devolo AV Easy models for £78 a pair - plug and play and cinch to set up.

@steelercaz, do what beerhunter says if you just want to extend your wireless network for your PSP. You can get a wireless access point for £35/£40 from PC World.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom