Home plugs Poor Results

PHOTOSHOP KID

Novice Member
A couple of weeks ago I bought a a set of home plugs (Solwise) because the wireless coverage upstairs could have been better, but I find that, although the wireless Homeplug is showing max signal I am still getting drop outs when I strean video from BBC iplayer etc, in fact the poor qualty wireless signal from the router is often better, any ideas what the problem is?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a a set of home plugs (Solwise) because the wireless coverage upstairs could have been better, but I find that, although the wireless Homeplug is showing max signal I am still getting drop outs when I strean video from BBC iplayer etc, in fact the poor qualty wireless signal from the router is often better, any ideas what the problem is?
I tried these recently and eventually sent them back

I could get them to work fine using cable on each end but trying to use wireless at the far end was just a no no

And any chance of it getting to simply switch on and work for use by other members of the family....:confused:

PHOTOSHOP KID

Novice Member
This may sound trite but my advice is not to stream video over WiFi.
I know what you mean, however, my ipad/phone only has wi-fi and this is what I want to use upstairs.

As I said before I get better results from the router wi-fi, which is in the hall, and I have the wi-fi homeplug in the same room as my ipad :mad:

beerhunter

Novice Member
I know what you mean, however, my ipad/phone only has wi-fi and this is what I want to use upstairs.

As I said before I get better results from the router wi-fi, which is in the hall, and I have the wi-fi homeplug in the same room as my ipad :mad:
Have you read the WiFi FAQ, especially the bit about using inSSIDer.

PHOTOSHOP KID

Novice Member
Have you read the WiFi FAQ, especially the bit about using inSSIDer.
Thanks once again, I have tried inSSIDer, I walked around my house with this app installed on my laptop, works well, upstairs it shows the homeplug in the green at between -45 & -48, which is telling me it is much better than the router which is downstairs.

One thing I did notice was that both the router and the homeplug were on the same channel, 11 is that ok?

beerhunter

Novice Member
One thing I did notice was that both the router and the homeplug were on the same channel, 11 is that ok?
No. It should be at least two channels away from your existing Wireless Access Point (the one built in to the router). In addition you should set the channels on both Wireless Access Points to ones that are at least two away from any in use by neighbours.

BTW, to avoid confusion, you should call your new device a Wireless Access Point, because that is what it is. HomePlug is just the method that it uses to 'talk' to the router.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I am still getting drop outs when I strean video from BBC iplayer etc, in fact the poor qualty wireless signal from the router is often better, any ideas what the problem is?
Are you sure that the problem isn't your broadband? Does iPlayer work 100% reliably on a wired connection?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom