Home phone/Internet problem - can anyone advise?

bigcliff2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm having this problem whereby if my home phone is plugged in as it were then the internet doesn't work.

This is the way I currently have it set up:

The master phone socket has one hole for a phone line to plug in. The internet line runs from the master phone socket under the stair carpet up to the router upstairs.

The phone is in another room downstairs beside the master phone socket and the line runs under the floor into the the room and connects up with the phone.

However, I have this thing that has four phone line holes on it and i assumed that I could just plug this directly into the master phone socket and then put the line to the router and the line to the phone in and both would work. But it doesn't. For the internet to work, only the cable that runs upstairs has to be plugged directly into the master socket. Hence, to use the phone, i have to take the internet cable out of the master socket and plug the one that goes to the phone in directly.

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong here? It's probably something simple, yes?

Thanks

This is almost certainly due to not having a filter between the phone and the relevant socket. Chances are your modem/router will have come with a filter or two.

I think you will need to plug two filters into your 4in1 socket, then plug the phone and router into a filter.
You could try plugging a filter into the master socket first, then put your 4in1 adapter into that.

I have a couple
I think you will need to plug two filters into your 4in1 socket, then plug the phone and router into a filter.
You could try plugging a filter into the master socket first, then put your 4in1 adapter into that.

Thanks for that. I hoked out a couple of filters and tried both ways but the internet won't work either way...

Just wondering, what's the reason you have a 4 in 1 socket? If you've just got the one phone, then plug a filter into the master socket, which should have one output for the phone and one for your broadband router, and perhaps that will work? I had a similar problem when I tried using a multi output box for two house phones, so decided in the end just to have the one house phone connected and it was fine.

Just wondering, what's the reason you have a 4 in 1 socket? If you've just got the one phone, then plug a filter into the master socket, which should have one output for the phone and one for your broadband router, and perhaps that will work? I had a similar problem when I tried using a multi output box for two house phones, so decided in the end just to have the one house phone connected and it was fine.

The connection that runs from the phone and the connection that runs to the internet both connect to the master socket by the same type of connection and there's only one of those on a filter...

I've got a different connector for my phone to what my router uses - I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you have a cable lying around with the other connection type then perhaps try that and just use the filter.

The connection that runs from the phone and the connection that runs to the internet both connect to the master socket by the same type of connection and there's only one of those on a filter...

Just to clarify - both devices will need a filter.

I had a similar problem when I tried using a multi output box for two house phones, so decided in the end just to have the one house phone connected and it was fine.

Yeah, if you've tried a filter on both connections then try just the router cable with the 4 in 1 adapter (i.e. phone unplugged). If it doesn't work then it's your adapter at fault.

Here's what I did and it seems to be working. I plugged the 4-1 adapter into the main phone socket and plugged the Internet line and the phone line into that. I then put a ADSL filter at the connection to the phone in the other room. The also remembered that there's another phone in a spare bedroom, so I connected it using a ASDL filter too. So both filters right at the phone, not the main socket. There was also a ADSL filter up near the router where the phone line runs upstairs. That line from the box downstairs goes into that filter, which they connects to the router. I'm not sure how I came to this conclusion but thanks for the steer re filters. Does this make sense?

That does make sense actually yes. I vaguely recall that there had to be a filter at the point the phone (or phones) are plugged into the line (not had a dsl line in many years!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom