Home NUC & Work Laptop mini dp switch?

Lighty

Hi

I have a NUC8 that has Mini DisplayPort and a work laptop with the same.

I’ve just grabbed an apple cinema 30” and wondered if there is a way to have a switch for the display?

So I’d like to have 2 Mini DisplayPort and 2 USB-A in and 1 of the same pair out if possible.
Is there a switch for this?

My other option might be to try a USB3 to mDP adapter into a USB hub but I wonder if the laptop battery will confuse the hub when I try to use the NUC …

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Lighty

Lighty

I’ve seen a few dp switches.
I was trying to avoid a dongle fest but it might be the way!

Lighty

I could just put a USB-C adapter on the mDP and usb-a and simply swap cables between them.
I didn’t want to rice the mDP socket about if I could help it.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I’ve seen a few dp switches.
I was trying to avoid a dongle fest but it might be the way!
mDP is only an alternate connector for DisplayPort rather than a protocol change so you can use cables with an mDP connector on one end and the more common DP connector on the other.

Mini DP is so rarely used I'd buy a switch with normal DP connectors even if you could find one with mDP sockets as it'll be easier to find cables for future connectors.
My other option might be to try a USB3 to mDP adapter into a USB hub but I wonder if the laptop battery will confuse the hub when I try to use the NUC …

Nah. DP ports have no ability to output USB so that won't work and if you're talking about the USB external graphics devices then they're output only.

You basically either need to connect to a DisplayPort AND USB port on the computers, or a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C with DP Alt Mode port.

At least some of the NUC8 range appears to have the latter, so if your work laptop does as well then a USB-C KVM Switch would be an alternative to the DisplayPort one.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom