Quantcast

home nework problem

B

braehead

Help,

I'm trying to go wireless. Bought the BT Voyager kit on special at PC World. Installed it as per the instructions. Get a good signal but can't connect to the internet, says host isn't responding - a 686 error I think. Any ideas?

:lease:

RobsterD

Is the modem setup correcttly as PPPoA and have you put a username in ie [email protected] no password reqd,set up my mates yesterday with no probs.
Check you can access internet via ethernet B4 you try the wireless connection.
What Voyager kit have got ?
Rob

B

braehead

I got the 2110 with the 1040 pc card. Connected last night via ethernet and couldn't get the internet either so think there is a bigger problem! My ISP is Wanadoo and I've got the correct user name and password. When I plug the USB Speedtouch modem back in I get through to the internet with no problems at all. I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

RobsterD

Thought you had BT bb,I have Wanadoo,so here are my modem settings
modem @mmode
PPPoA
PPP [email protected]
PVC setting VPI-0,VCI-38
set the router to DHCP and network to obtain IP address automatically.
Can you ping the router/gateway when connected by ethernet?

B

braehead

Thanks for that. I'll try it when I get home from work. I used to think I was ok at these things but rapidy finding that the world has left me behind somewhat!

B

braehead

Hey,

I'm all sorted. Turns out it was to do with trying to establish my first internet connection via Mozilla. Once I got into the Voyager configuration utility another way it worked just fine.

What a bother getting it sorted though. The BT instructions were poor!!

Anyway, result :clap:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
braehead said:
Hey,

What a bother getting it sorted though. The BT instructions were poor!!

Anyway, result :clap:
Well done. :)

I have only recently got into wireless and it took me 4 days to get it working.

The instructions are always poor so they can get some poor chap ringing expesive helplines.

GrahamC

Novice Member
Anyone know how to stop wireless dropping its connection every five minutes.

B

braehead

nwgarratt said:
Well done. :)

I have only recently got into wireless and it took me 4 days to get it working.
Funny that, I started on Saturday and got it working on Tuesday. I wonder if they should put a "easy install in only 4 days" on the packaging? :D

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
braehead said:
Funny that, I started on Saturday and got it working on Tuesday. I wonder if they should put a "easy install in only 4 days" on the packaging? :D
I started at 9pm on Friday night and got it working Tuesday 2am.

I could have got it working in 10 minutes as I forgot about one thing. I got the router working straight away on my laptop. On my main PC I had the LAN disabled in the BIOS. At one stage I was using a Wireless adapter on the main PC to connect to the router next to it. Once, I enabled the LAN. The router started working straight away on the ethernet connection. I then just have to run the online setup again.

Top Bottom