1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Networking - What should I look for?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mrtbag, Nov 23, 2004.

1. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on Home Networking.

I have a Dell PC at home with an NTL broadband connection. I have just started a business, and would like to be able to come home from a day out etc, and use my laptop (yet to be bought) for business stuff and my Dell for pleasure :blush:, but share the broadband connection.

So I guess I need to buy the following, but have a budget of £1000 max.

Laptop
    Wireless card for the PC
    Wireless card for the Laptop

The laptop, I pretty much know the spec of and can get that for about £800.

Is £200 enough? Does anybody know of any good deals you can buy in one box?

Any help would be good.

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

From the mention of NTL broadband, I assume that you either have a cable modem (which currently connects to your existing Dell PC) or you just connect directly to your NTL set-top box (some cable boxes actually have a network socket on their rear).

Regardless of how you connect, I would suggest you consider the following:

1. You want to connect multiple machines at the same time.
    2. You want the ability to connect wirelessly.

To do this you'll need something like a wireless router, this will do the following:

1. Share a broadband connection amongst multiple machines.
    2. Provide a reasonable level of security (by including a firewall and some other bits and pieces).
    3. Allow you to connect other machines wirelessly, as long as they have a wireless card or wireless networking built in.

Something like this: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?CategoryID=123&ProductID=1703&ShopGroupID=38 would be ideal and as you can see the price fits with your requirements.

I wouldn't necessarily get a wireless card for the PC, how often are you going to move it around after all? I would connect the PC with a cable to the wireless router in the package above and you then connect the router to your existing cable modem/set top box. The wireless card you can then use with your laptop when you get it.

As you probably know, most cable companies insist on you registering your MAC address with them (in an attempt to restrict how many pieces of equipment you hook up and also as a security measure). This wireless router can "clone" the MAC address of your already registered machine (the PC) so that it will work without a hitch.

3. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have NTL and use a Netgear wireless router with one wired PC and 2 wireless laptops and it works a treat. It has all the usual security features and firewall built in and it was very easy to set up.

You don't need to worry about registering MAC addresses with NTL. Simply unplug the cable modem from your PC and plug it into the router then plug the PC into the router. NTL only see's the MAC address of the cable modem.

4. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and if you get a router that does mac address cloning, it can pretend to be the PC you have registered with NTL: and you won't have to register the router or make any changes to your NTL: on line account connection.

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My experience was with Telewest, although if using a router that clones the existing Dell PC MAC address then no registering will be necessary anyway.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Thanks guys. It's getting clearer now.