1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Networking Query (sorry yet another one)

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Doctor_AB, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Tried a search and got a lot of good info on home networking but need some more help.
    Currently have a wireless adsl modem, desktop with wireless USB connection to modem, laptop with wireless card access to modem. Having a loft extension witha computer,

questions are is a cat 5 cable run justified or will a HPNA be just as good. Cat 5 in theory 100Mbps and HPNA maybe 10(is that right). If mainly for internet access and occasional file sharing is the potential higher speed necessary. Worried that wireless may not recah from loft to modem which is on ground floor as laptop connection to modem is very poor and has short range whilst desktop is much stronger.

Any help greatly appreciated. I presume i cam mix wirelss and wired connections together, my adsl modem also has a slot for ethernet connection

Thanks for anticipated help.

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello,

For ease, I would suggest that you stay with a wireless connection. You say that the moned has a ethernet port aswell, but i am quite sure you will not be able to use that at the same time as the USB. The only problem may come when you want to transfer big files, but you say that shouldn't be needed often, so should be fine. I am not sure, but with your current setup, can your laptop and PC bot access the modem/inet at the same time? If not, you should think of adding a wireless router/access point. As far as I am aware this will allow you to make a ethernet connection from the modem to the router, then say four wireless connections.

Check out www.ebuyer.com for some examples.

Hope this helps.

Rob

3. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Cheers rob,
    Currently have wireless ADSL modem connected to phone line. Desktop has USB wireless thing that connects wireless adsl modem. Laptop connects to modem via PCMCIA slot wirelss thing. Problem is laptop range is poor. May be because BT rubbish modem and bits and bobs. Worried that with a computer in loft, one on 1st floor and one on ground floor range may not be so good and may lose one or other of them. Looked at aerials to extend range but BT adsl modem doesn't have aerial on outside.

Amar