Home Networking help please!

drmsa

Home Networking help 🙏

Although technically minded, home networking not my forte. With caveat in mind, I would be ever so grateful for your guidance and support in helping me with my home network.

My current setup:

I have virgin media gigabit connection coming into my property in my study. I have a single LAN cable connecting it to my Linksys Velop MX4000 Router in Automatic Configuration mode (see pic below). My virgin media remains in modem mode.

IMG_1999.jpeg

From the Velop router I have 3 LAN cables connecting - one to a switch (Netgear GS108Ev3), one to Gaming PC and one to Synology Server.

From my Study switch (Netgear GS108Ev3) - one LAN cable to Switch in Loft, One LAN cable to switch in Sitting room, One to Mac Mini, One to Ring Alarm and one to Philips Hue.

From my Sitting Room Switch (Netgear DG834Gv3) - one LAN cable connecting to another switch in Family Room, Remaining LAN ports connecting TV, Apple TV, PS5, AV Amp, Sky Q Box, Seagate backup HDD and Arlo.

From my Family Room Switch (Netgear GS110TP) - LAN cables connecting AV Amp, Homebridge Server & NVIDIA media player. In my family room I also have a second Velop MX4000 Node which is linked in wirelessly to the Velop in the study.

In my Loft switch (Netgear DG834GT)- I have LAN cables connecting my TV and NVIDIA media player.

Keeping all the wires and wirelessly connected devices in mind, we have nearly 52 devices connected at any given time.

Issues I have and need help with please -

• Whenever I ‘reset’ everything on the Velop (once every 1-2 months) everything runs fine. Get pretty decent speeds - 750mbps+ on all LAN connected devices everywhere, however within days of doing reset - the speed starts to drop in my sitting and family room devices.
  • The second node in family room never has a solid connection - speed less than 500mbps. Have tried connecting directly using a LAN cable between switch from study to Second Node in Family room in the WAN port of second node - initially after setup connection remains very decent but then speeds drop within days and end up resetting the nodes.

Is there a remedy to fix the issue?

What am I getting wrong?

I always thought Plug and Play switches were supposed to just “work”, clearly need some setting up somewhere.

Any help/support would be really helpful. Please feel free to ask me anything about the setup that I could help with.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
For the record , I agree with you totally , but just so you know , Virgin regularly send around an email flyer recommending users reboot their router at least once a month !!!!
I S**t you not !
Paragraph 4 right here ..... and users are going to have this in their heads as the right thing to do!
[/URL]

Eek - that reminds me of the early days of Windows NT when TechNet were recommending we should reboot the servers once a week - much to the chagrin of those of us that cut our teeth on Novell Netware who could all point to Netware file servers we'd had running continuously for years!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Eek - that reminds me of the early days of Windows NT when TechNet were recommending we should reboot the servers once a week - much to the chagrin of those of use that cut our teeth on Novell Netware who could all point to Netware file servers we'd had running continuously for years!

Yep for some reason, one organisation I worked with took nearly one hour to login in the morning (to NT 3.51)....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oneman

For the record , I agree with you totally , but just so you know , Virgin regularly send around an email flyer recommending users reboot their router at least once a month !!!!
I S**t you not !
Paragraph 4 right here ..... and users are going to have this in their heads as the right thing to do!

There isn't any mentioned of regularly rebooting your router on the domestic user page

Upvote 0

andy1249

Distinguished Member
There isn't any mentioned of regularly rebooting your router on the domestic user page

This picture is directly from the "broadband tips" section in the email flyer they send around every month.
Also on the domestic broadband page , there is a video on rebooting your hub ( white or black) , and a note that they say if there are any issues its the first thing you should do.

Note the "language" below , its definitely not aimed at the Technical or those working in IT ....

virgin email.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom