1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network Using Electricity Cables

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RichardB, Jun 13, 2005.

1. RichardB

RichardB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, has anyone got any experience of this home networking using your electricity cables malarky?

BBC Story

There are some products for sale here:

Solwise

It doesn't seem to be prohibitively expensive and other than interfering with shortwave radio there are no major problems that have been encountered with it so far.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    I dont, but I have lots of experience with power over ethernet devices, and they work faultlessly. I cant imagine doing things the other way round will cause any major problems for the designers.. :rolleyes:

I use Solwise a lot for Wireless Products, they really know what they're talking about.
    If they sell it, I'd say it will definitely work..

3. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The speeds are currently slower than wireless so their niche is really for those that either can't use wireless (have lots of thick walls) or don't want to start messing the house up by laying new cables.

4. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using a pair of these for over a year

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1806

I have a switch in the front room and I connect the Tivo with Cachecard and a Dell MP3 player that I bought off of the for sale board on here.

Both of the above items run at 10mbps so speed is not an issue for me.

Been absolutely flawless and were very easy to setup.

Steve

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I recently installed a 14Mbps for setup at in my sisters house - 3 wallplug ethernet adaptors. Totally painless install, with nothing to configure - just plug 'em in and off you go.

If you need more bandwidth, 200Mbps products are due very soon now. BroadbandCarrier should have some soon (and they're very good people to deal with).

Cheers, Carl.

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    There are two sides to this. The BBC article was quite correct about interference issues. However PLT (Power Line Transmission) does indeed work.
    Because elecrticity wiring has an undetermine impedance, efficiency will vary ; likewise the incidence of unintended "virtual antennas" and peaks in frequency response is totally unpredictable.
    I am affected by this from 2 conflicting angles :

1) I work for a company who makes ICs that enable this technology.
    I have to at times give technical support to UK companies designing such systems.
    (Incidentally 2 such companies I was involved with have gone bust in the last 2 years).

2) I am a radio amateur ( or "radio ham" ) and , therefore, stand to be affected by interference thus caused.

The Homeplug standard is a USA thing, Europe is supposed to be working on an ETSI standard for it ; PLT is commoner in Germany than in UK (fortunately).

If you want to read more here are a couple of links :

http://www.rsgb.org.uk/emc/emcwebsite/index.html#plt

http://p1k.arrl.org/~ehare/bpl/Guidance_for_field_trials.html

http://www.homeplug.org/en/index.asp

Chris Muriel, Manchester