1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by The Sheriff, Jun 24, 2004.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've reciently set up a wireless home network to access broadband in my bedroom. I want to be able to share files over the network as well as my printer etc so i ran the home network setup wizzard on each computer to configure it. The problem i have is i still can't seem to share files or anything, i placed a file in the shared documents folder on one computer but can't access it on the other one, is there something i'm missing?

Nick

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

You need to make check to see what problem you have first...is it with the wireless, network or share permissions.

from the start menu - click on run and type cmd (return)
    this opens up a ms dos promt box (black)

in that box tipe ipconfig to see what ip address you have on the network card.

do this on the other machine also....

Then try pinging the ip address of the other machine.

same black box, typethe following

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

xxx= being the ip address.

this will tell you if you can see the other machine or not....

let me know how you get on as there are loads of other things to check..

Chris

3. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZoneAlarm (or other firewalls)? If a firewall is not configured to trust a certain IP address (taking ZA as an example), then the firewalled PC will not accept incoming connections out of the blue.

Can you see each computer from the others using Network Neighbourhood? (if not, then a firewall might be the problem)

Also, are all the computers set to be on the same workgroup (right-click My Computer, click properties and go into the 'computer name' tab, on WinXP anyway). They need to be if you are going to browse to them.

Finally, are the IP addresses in the same domain (as in they are all 192.168.xxx.yyy, where the xxx are the same on all computers and the yyy are different on all computers) and are the computers registered on the network (as in they are connected - have a look in the taskbar for an icon).

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Both computers are on the same workgroup and the ip addresses are in the same domain like you mentioned. Don't see the other computer in network places though, will check the firewalls out to see if thats the problem.

Nick

5. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try forcing the connection
    start - run - \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip)

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Are they all running XP ? If so, the easiest way to do it is to use simple file sharing.
    I've always had best results setting up the network manually - ie not using the wizard to do it.