1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home network problem (downloading)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1138, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got the new built HCPC networked to my main Home PC via wireless USB adaptor (11 Mbps) to the ADSL modem / wireless router.
    Main Home PC is connected to the ADSL modem / wireless router by USB1 Ethernet adaptor (only running at 6 Mbps)

The HCPC is working fine for web page access and downloading
    BUT
    the main Home PC, while it can access web pages most of the time (sometime they just won't load and I have to re-boot)... it WILL NOT download anything. It just sits there at the start of the download process (where it should be reading the file size and telling you how long it thinks it will take). In the connection properties, after an initial 'blip' of activity, there's no traffic occurring through the connection.
    Have turned off Norton Pers. Firewall to no effect
    (but have NPF running on the HCPC and it's downloading without probs).

any ideas ?
    where to look ?
    Thx
    Steve

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you got the xp firewall turned on?

3. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No (I should have mentioned that at first..)

I have that switched off since installing NPF and networking the new HCPC, as otherwise the two PC's can't communicate.
    Am using the defined personal IP range in NPF for the network, with XP Fw = off on both PC's

:-(

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Check the security settings are the same on both machines, are the machines patched from windows update (infact that would be a reasonable place to see if any downloads work, perhaps try that 1st)

5. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for coming back again, John

Went to WindowsUpdate site and selected some updates.
    Situation is as described before = horrendously slow.
    Went a second time and only selected the Dx9 update of 293 kB... same thing...just sat there.
    Needless to say... everything was fine before through the ISDN line when I only had one PC, no network and no ADSL / router..

Went into NPF to run a scan >> connected to Norton web site... scan worked... Then updated AntiVirus definitions (..that was quick enough..)
    (more than 1.1 MB of updates to Norton Internet Security at a reasonable speed (USB1 Ethernet adaptor only running at 6 Mbps)

I have the home network IP address range defined in NPF and I haven't altered the Advanced Firewall - General rules.

Which security settings did u mean, specifically ?

THX again
    Steve

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is normal web browsing speeds okay, goto www.adslguide.org and do the speedtest, this will tell us if its a network (isp) problem or if its internal to your network.

7. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am on nominal 256 kbps... don't laugh !
    even my old ISDN 64 kbps was quicker sometimes
    Am using Same ISP for ADSL as I do for phone & ISDN

Results: <on HCPC>
    Downstream 206 Kbps (25.8 KB/sec) 222 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 53 Kbps (6.6 KB/sec) 57 Kbps (inc. overheads)

measured results on the Home PC (where am having the download problems), immediately after were very similar, but then it took ages for the bar graph to display (same thing as with downloading... just hanging)

The new PC (HCPC) is working OK at speeds typical of the above test results when downloading.
    But the main Home PC even tho it just gave similar ADSL test results - will not allow file downloads to take place, even tho if if I try to download the same thing on the HCPC around the same time - it works on that one.

.../..

Steve

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok...which isp, it may be the MTU value, if your on BTO then I have a little .exe which can change it to their prefered value of 1452 (or there abouts). got to be worth a try anyway as you could run it again if it makes no difference and it changes it back to the default. If you PM your email address I'll mail it to you.

The incorrect value seriously slows your connection speed because it fragments the downloaded data.