Home Network...Passwords Needed? Huh?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Trueman, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Trueman

Trueman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have setup a home network. It is very simple and only comprises of the following:

LAPTOP(Draft-n Wifi) ----SKY Router (54g) ---- Desktop (homebuild) Via LAN
    |
    |
    |
    XBOX 360 via Lan CABLE

I have setup the network on the Laptop. Both the laptop and Desktop can see one-another, however when trying to access, a 'Vista Prompt' appears, asking for a username and password. I have not installed individual users on either machine so I do not know why this prompt appears. I tried researching this matter and the only resolve I got was to create an identical username and password on either machine. This in fact works however I do not wish to have redundant users on both machines that serve no other purpose. Instead sometimes I forget to log out of the other user account which ultimately slows the machine down considerably.

Are there any software packages out there that anyone would reccomend? Or does vista's networking tool suffice and how do i get around the problem of the usernames and passwords?

Thanks in advance. :clap:

2. Trueman

Trueman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE XBOX 360 IS CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER VIA A LAN CABLE The diagram has skewed a little. Thanks

3. Trueman

Trueman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been reading up on routers. Would it be more wiser to invest in a draft-n router that incorporates USB slots so that I could plug in a printer and an external HD. That way I do not have to turn the other Pc each time I wish to transfer files. This way I could use the External HD as a library that can be accessed by either computer?

4. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    To get this to work in Vista the client computer needs to have a username and password on the remote computer, as you have discovered (the exception is for printer sharing, where you could share a printer on the desktop without a password so long as password protection was set to off).

You can turn off password protected sharing in Network and Sharing Centre, but then all you would be able to share is the Public folder.

If you already have an external USB HDD then that would be an option. If not, buy a NAS.