Question Home Network options

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by lsba02853, May 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lsba02853

lsba02853

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Afternoon Folks.

I'm about to embark on a loft extension so have decided it's a good opportunity to look at the Wifi/Network options for the upstairs and new loft.

Currently, everything is a bit of a mishmash. Modem/Router is under the stairs and I've a netgear unmanned switch connected to that. A few years ago, I had a go at making some ethernet cables but messed up and got frustrated so I bought some ready made ones from ebay. As a result I've a 20m cable feeding the kitchen extension, that plugs into the back of a Sonos Connect Amp.
    This feeds the mac and small netgear router, Wifi doesn't do so great in the kitchen.

I've another 3 cable running into the lounge:
    1 to the cupboard that holds the Sky Box, PS3 and Pi2 (running Kodi), there's another unmanned switch in there.
    The other 2 go behind the TV, though only 1 is used.

I'm thinking of running cable upstairs to the kids rooms and ultimately the loft. The idea is to give them un-interrupted wifi access and a couple of internet sockets in their rooms for later use. One of the rooms will be turned into a small office, so will also have connectivity. In the loft, we won't have a TV, but will certainly want Wifi and Sonos.

So, the question is this; what can/do I need to ensure I've got Wireless access points throughout the house without the need to connect to different wifi SSIDs? Shall i just get a bigger switch and run the cables accordingly or am I missing a trick and should upgrade to something better?

Excuse my ignorance, anyone with experience would likely have a damn good chuckle at how I've set things up so far, but it works for us :)

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    It seems you want a single wireless network everywhere and wired in selected rooms? IMO you shouldn't look at using cables to 'extend' one wireless router. Look at your house and see where it is best to place one main wireless modem router (probably downstairs and presumably already in place) and probably somewhere else upstairs to place a wifi extender. Depending on your house and technology chosen you might need a second wifi extender somewhere of course. Cables to whatever rooms you want for switches as required (and the routers/extenders) are pretty much as you have them. How professional they look is pretty much up to you :)

The single wireless modem/router should be able to cope comfortably supplying all IPs wired and wireless. :)

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Regarding wifi APs, if you do need several around the house and if they overlap in coverage then you might want to go for managed wifi rather than a collection of stand-alone APs or extenders. Systems line Ubiquiti Unifi can operate using roaming with seamless handover so your client device transfers automatically from cell to cell without breaking its connection. There are routers from Draytek which include managed wifi control and work with their own range of APs. Or you can go for a cheaper/simpler system from the likes of IP.Com from Solwise.

4. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    have a look at the networking section of this forum and specifically to topic: Using 2 routers together and extending wifi. You will learn an awful lot from there and you might want to ask a moderator to move this thread to that section where i feel it would be more appropriate to have it.

[FAQ] Using two routers together/ Extending Wi-Fi