Quantcast

Answered Home Network Nightmare Options?

Lorchan

Hi Guys hope all is well?

Currently at home I've had a nightmare with my home network and wireless range!

I have an ASUS RT66U AC router with BT infinity fibre broadband. My router is place in office which has AC laptop (Apple MacBook) and other AC devices.

In the office I have LAN connection for Xbox, Amazon Fire TV, Gaming Rig and home AV Amp.

The router is at one side of the house which means other devices like home laptop and phones are finding it difficult to connect to internet.

I purchased two WIFI extenders and have them place at other side of home however they don't seem to have internet connection? But are connected to the router and have good signal.

I have also noticed that it takes a while for Apple MacBook to connect to WIFI?

I would like to keep Router in office to make use of LAN connection for Xbox and Gaming rig.

I was just wondering how would I increase WIFI to rest of house? Is there any setting within router?

Any help would be thankful!!!

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Not sure if this will help, but I expanded my wifi range on the cheap. Had a spare £10 router lying around, wired it into a homeplug on the other side of my house. Other homeplug in the same room as my router, connected to a switch, and my VM router also connected to the switch.

There are guides online on what settings you need to make on the spare router (e.g. turn DHCP off), easy enough, couple of minutes and bingo, wifi all over the house.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Also bear in mind that there's a separate networking forum which this should really be in:

Networking & NAS

exoticBoarder

Homeplugs are probably the simplest solution. The bt hotspot 500 gets great reviews. Netgear and tplink offer similar solutions as well. Don't confuse them with range extenders which pick up the signal from your router and retransmits.

mozza54

Not sure if this will help, but I expanded my wifi range on the cheap. Had a spare £10 router lying around, wired it into a homeplug on the other side of my house. Other homeplug in the same room as my router, connected to a switch, and my VM router also connected to the switch.

There are guides online on what settings you need to make on the spare router (e.g. turn DHCP off), easy enough, couple of minutes and bingo, wifi all over the house.
I Did this as well and it works really well. Ive got my PC and Router connected by 1gb homeplugs and then another homeplug to a second router in the upstairs room at the back of the house, using the main router for DHCP.

Its handy if you have multiple wireless devices as well as you can share the load on the routers.

Lorchan

Thanks again guys!!