1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network / Media Server

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by loafer316, Feb 24, 2003.

1. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been laying some cat5e around the house as i've a cable modem downstairs with the PC upstairs on a 10/100baseT NIC

Now i want to know if these are things are possible and if i need to do anything before i start redecorating the downstairs etc. bare with me! :boring:

Can i have a simple/small HTPC/media setup downstairs but use it as a PVR and send the recording via the network to the PC Upstairs which will store mostly everything? would i need to store on the HTPC machine first and then transfer it upstairs or can it be down simultaniously when recording.

Is it possible to also play my MP3 collection downstairs via a decent Audio Card but coming from the PC upstairs?

In terms of DVD Playback i can backup the DVD on the HDD upstairs but can i then use a software player downstairs such as thetretek/powerdvd and the stream the dvd from upstairs? will this effect performance? can i still use the same cables for the internet sharing?

Lastly need to know whats the minimum on spec for the PVR downstairs? if i pic up a capture card i can use it with dscaler to output to a plasma...but i'll also use an s-video out from the digibox to record the programs.

so many cables!! ins and outs!! a hub would also be needed i guess.

Thanxs for the help ppl!!:smashin:

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, If you use a free digital tv card like the nebula you can apparantly record to a mapped drive and the quality is supposed to be excellent.
    Yes no problem.
    Yes, easy with power dvd, can be done with other players but more difficult.
    There is so much bandwith with a wired network you wont have any touble doing this and sharing internet connections, if you haven't bought a hub yet then buy a switch instead as it allows more throughput.
    Depends which pvr solution you choose, the nebula only needs about a gig processor but I guess it depends on if the PC might be multitasking at the time.

3. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!! John!! :smashin: :clap:

On the last note...i was thinking about the PVR/HTPC thing....if i use a capture card and run dscaler to output to a plasma....in what way can you record that output? shame dscaler isn't really a PVR software too!!:) but i guess for now it does what it does best!!. I guess if i wanted both then a 2ghz with plenty of ram would be more appropriate.

4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think the nebula is dscaler compatible although its composite only, I beleive theres another card out next month sometime which is a free digital card with pvr and svideo capture which may be the one worth waiting for.

2ghz for pvr and dscaler at the same time would be a minimum I would think, Dscaler can be really hungary at times.