Home Network help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I have two computers in my Home, one is running winxp the other win98Se would these two operating systems be compatible with each other for networking?

I wish to file share, share my internet connection and use it for Lan gaming, I take it that I can do all this with a Network kit, or will I need a Ethernet ADSL Modem Router as well :confused:

I noticed screwfix do a Network kit for £40 click Would this be good enough for someone on a low budget.

I will also be adding a further computer at a later date.

Thanks for any help :)

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There's nothing wrong with that Screwfix kit and it would do what you want. Assuming you've got an ADSL modem attached to the Windows XP PC then you can use Internet Connection Sharing to share that connection with the Windows 98 PC.

The downside is that the Windows XP PC needs to be on so the W98 PC can access the Internet. To be honest I suspect you'd be better off buying an ADSL router with a built in switch. Something like this would do the business. Dabs also sell network cards at around £5 which would be ideal. Add in a couple of 5m patch leads at £2-£3 and you'd be sorted.

Total outlay shouldn't be that much more than the Screwfix kit, but it will be a lot less frustrating.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Gerbil

Thanks for the help, would the ethernet router also allow file sharing between PC's. And would the host (main) pc need to be on to allow net browsing with the adsl router.

I do have a adsl modem already.
    My mobo has a network socket already I guess this would do for connecting to the ethernet router, or would I still need the pci adaptor?

I am a newbie to networking as you can see :(

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    with router you can file share and you can access net from any PC regardless of which machines are on.

5. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    No need for the PCI adaptor if the motherboard has a built in Ethernet card. Should be even less to spend then

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thanks all :thumbsup:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    should add both machines need to be on for file sharing....... (obvious)
    any machine can access net indepandantly.

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can't stress strongly enough how much better a router is than trying to get sensible/practical connectivity from software internet connection sharing. Please don't go that route, you'll only end up getting a router the first time you see someone's setup that has one.

You should also check out the Netgear DG834G wireless DSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall all in one, it's really easy to set up (via a webpage wizard), has 4 wired Lan ports, built in good quality hardware firewall and would allow future wirelessG connectivity. More expensive than the Dabs one but worth every penny.

Many of us on here have them.

Mark.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Mark

Thanks....just read the specs, looks good...would a usb adaptor or a pci one be the way to go? I don't have a problem opening up pc's but I guess the usb 2.0 adaptor would be the way to go as it should be quicker.
    Or would you recommend wireless.

Thanks

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yo ucan use the Motherboard Lan port to connect to the Router, if you don't have one I'd go for a PCI adaptor for sure. Very easy to install and very straight forward to configure.

The Router is simply another network device. Plug a network cable from each of your PCs into the back of the DG834G router and the DG834G to the DSL socket. You then have your 2 PCs able to talk to each other and either can connect to the Intenet without the other having to be on.

If you end up with more tha 4 PCs (or other devices like x-box or SliMP3) you wish to connect you can simply plug an additional 5 port or 8 port "switch" into one of the router's lan ports and connect more devices to that, or go wireless for those devices.

I have 3 XP PC, 1 Win98, 1 NT4, 1 Linux Server and a Tivo on my network.

I would recommed a wired connection over wireless for connecting the actual PCs as large data file transfer is slower and video streaming is very difficult when going wireless, but no reason why other devices can't connect wirelessly too (MP3 Player devices etc.) Once thing to note, if you do decide on wireless only buy Wireless-G adaptors, adding just 1 slower wireless B adaptor will slow your entire wireless network down to the speed acheivable by the slowest device.

Once you get this sorted you'll be storing your music MP3's on your server and accessing it remotely via a wireless SliMP3 device as well as having the connectivity you want in no time.

Good luck,

Mark.

11. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with Mark Ward.
    Ive been using a router set up for 3 years and have now installed another (wireless) one in anohter house.
    Has been running for 3 years without one hitch! And the 'Physical' firewall of the router provides great security.

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Mark

Thanks for the info, my knowledge of networking has increased vastly now :thumbsup:
    I am pretty sure now that I will go for the Netgear DG834DG but I will stick to cable and use a pci router on my second PC. I think I will also go for the PS101 Mini print port so I can stick to one printer for the whole House.
    The Wife is pretty keen to get the internet into her Hobby room so its a :thumbsup: from her :)

I just noticed the Mini Print Server is for parallel port printing only, is there not a USB version?

Thanks

13. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm sure you've just got the terms wrong here, it's a pci LAN card you need on your second PC (assuming it doesn't have a LAN port on the Motherboard.

You probably won't need that, once your computers are networked it's really easy to share a printer that is already connected to one PC with the second or subsequent PCs.

The Mini Print port means that the printer can be on all the time even if the main PC is off, but I suspect you'll be prepared to make sure the current PC with a printer is turned on when you need to print.

Once you are networked the printer will work the same from either computer, irrespective of whether you buy a Miniport or not. Only inconviences are that if you have to cancel something you are printing you have to do it from the PC the printer is physically connected to.

I'm sure it'll work out just great for you.

Summary:-
    PC1 = Motherboard Lan Port connect to the Router
    PC2 = Motherboard Lan port or PCI Network card connects to the same Router (DG834G)

MiniPrintPort = Buy if you want but not needed (I wouldn't)

One last tip, shop around on cables PCWorld & Maplins are rather expensive. Many only stores sell them much cheaper and if you're going to buy the router online it makes sense to get them at the same time, make sure you know the right lengths (then add a bit;)). You DON'T want crossover cables though.
    Take care,

MArk.

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Mark

Yes.. i did meen a pci lan card :)
    Just got a quote from Ebuyer
    Netgear DG834
    Netgear PCI Adapter
    15metre RJ45 X 3 (must check to make sure they are not crossover).
    £83.56 including P&P

Would this cable do? no mention of crossover but one of the reviews says it is a crossover cable :confused:

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I now have my Netgear router up and running now :) seems very stable after my freebie Sagem from my ISP supplier.
    I only have my pc connected so far as my adapter card for the second pc hasn't turned up yet :(

I just can't seem to be able to set the correct date in the admin settings for the router, its set to sept 2002 :(

p.s I swear my surfing is slightly quicker :D