1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network Help Needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stevo99, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Stevo99

Stevo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have a PC upstairs and one downstairs, I have fitted a network card in each but have come to realise that the cross over cable is going to have to be run in awkward places.

I want to share the internet connection (NTL Cable 1MB) and the printer and drives.

I am looking into wireless networikng but what hardware will i need and what sort of price am i looking at?

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    as an overview you'll need:

A wireless cable router - About £70
    2 wireless cards for PCs - about £35 each ( you may get one free with the router )

I cant get too specific as I'm not familair with NTL, so not sure on connector types etc, but I'm guessing it'll just be a standard network adapter connection..

Somebody else will be able to fill you in with the exact requirements for NTL i'm sure.....

3. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    once you've installed the wireless cards into the PC's connect the network cable (RJ45 plug) that comes from your modem into the WAN port on your wireles router. Then make sure your workgroup on both PC's are the same name. You will need to join the network on each pc. I have an hybrid network ie some pcs wired and SWMBO's and laptop on wireless. Its also a good idea to use encryption on your wireless signal, so neighbours can't login to your network. hope that helps

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have NTL and use a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Broadband Router on my mule internet PC. I use a Linksys Wireless G PCI card in another PC in my office and a Linksys Wireless G PCMCIA card in my daughters laptop which is kept downstairs. Everything works hunky dory and no wires :smashin:

You'll notice I like Linksys then!

5. mherrin

mherrin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you already have a Cable modem connected to your machine, you could use that as an internet gateway. (I think you'll have a NIC in your machine, connected to the cable box with an RJ45 lead?)

I recently bought a USB WNIC for about £20 from BigPockets to connect to my Wireless Access Point. Very pleased with it. I got a USB extension cable from cable universe and I get a very good signal.

You'd save yourself some cash ;-)