• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Media FileServer Setup Advice

blueuk808

Standard Member
Hi,

Been looking about for a while now and really can't decide what to do.

I have a HTPC (Acer Revo R3610 with 4gb Ram running Windows 7) setup running Boxee which pulls its content from a fileserver I have sat on my LAN. Everything is wired, albeit I have 2 very long Ethernet cable runs to 4-way hubs and my HTPC and my fileserver are not on the same hub. The main hub is my cable router which is a dlink 615 standard Virgin issue (sigh).

My fileserver is a HP Proliant ML115 which is jam packed with 4 hard drives. These contain all Movies, TV Shows and Music that I access. Plus it runs utorrent, sickbeard, sabnzbd and headphones, plus a few other things like airprint, iTunes etc so it gets a fair bit of use.

I've gone for Windows 7 on the server, just for simplicity (if you can call the permissions simple) and it all kinda works ok. It does only have 2gb of ram in it - which I should probably do something about, but my minor bug bears are:

- The server runs hot, loud and is constantly on. To the extent I have had Sting playing benefit concerts outside my house due to my electric consumption, which is fine but I f**king hate Sting (I don't.... I quite like Sting - just trying to be cool.....fail).

- The HTPC pulls the content fine, but the picture just ever so slightly jumps as if it can't stream quick enough - mainly on Hi Def stuff admittedly. When I was using Media Center I had the same issue but it was with sound not picture, so I'm guessing it's a bandwidth issue as opposed to codecs or processing.

I'm thinking of a revamp. The fileserver is loud and I now work in the room that it's in so it gets the glaring of a lifetime on occasions. I was thinking I could get a disk array and connect via eSATA to something like another R3610. But I'm not sure that the R3610 is powerful enough, or whether I would be increasing / decreasing the thru-put. (R3610 runs 4gb ram and Atom 330 whereas the Proliant runs a dual-core AMD Operon 2.2ghz)

Can't really find any info on how much lag the hubs give me and whether I need to consider a proper switch and run feeds up to each device and whether that would make a difference.

If anyone has made it this far and has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom