• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home made speakers (work in progress)

AV Happy

I love to see DIY jobs on here and get inspiration. so i just thought i would post up the work in progress on my custom HT speakers.
The story goes that the better half finally caved in and gave me the go ahead to go 5.1 providing it was on a budget and looked good. No problem i thought, i had some old wharfdale diamonds some Eltax Milleniums and a Polk sub, use these and put the money into the amp. But the boss said they dont look pretty and had to go. so instead of getting rid i got out my saw and router and have made new cabinets, I have tried to keep the internals the same as the origional cabinets but i'm afraid its a case of 'style over function' they are now away to be custom painted high gloss white.
Any comments welcome ( good or bad )

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5,058
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 4,542
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,801
Last edited:

kempez

Those look fantastic. I look forward to finished pics :)

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I do enjoy seeing DIY speakers and it's something I've toyed with myself. One project was to make some Wilson Watch clones using existing drivers (I'm no audiophile so as long as the right sounds come from the right speaker I'm happy), but a house move has put that on hold. I've another project in mind for my nexy HT with some DIY LCRs. They'll only be pretty basic as I've not yet progressed onto understanding and calculating for things like baffle step and time alignment etc but I'll enjoy building them - especially if they work and don't sound too bad!

I have to say your cabinets look pretty proffessional and different to the usual boxes which can make them more interesting to look at in a lounge. I love some of the more unusual designs which can almost be like a work of art. What did you use to get the volumes correct? Did you just use what you knew or measured form the existing boxes or use a software modelling program?

Gary

AV Happy

Thanks for the comments guys. I really enjoy DIY so i dont mind taking my time making things. I've also made my AV cabinet and dvd storage cupboard when i get the speakers back and finished ill put a post in the gallery for your comments.
Gary as far as volumes etc go i'm afraid as the post says its very much a case of style over function ( to keep the wife happy ) but i tried to keep the internal dimensions as close to the origionals as possible simply by measuring the origional boxes.
Now i cant wait to get them back I've had my Onkyo sat in place for 3 weeks waiting for the speakers its killing me.

Last edited:

Yaka

top work, keep us all posted every step of the way.

i my self have over the past 7 years thought about diy speakers even actively read diyaudio forums every day just never seem to have enough spare time to do it.

AV Happy

Finally finished :clap:, i'm really pleased with them. I hope you like. Any comments welcome ( good or bad ).
Sorry about the poor camera shots i took them in artificial light.

J

Attachments

• DSC_0535.jpg
    DSC_0535.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • DSC_0537.jpg
    DSC_0537.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,508
  • DSC_0538.jpg
    DSC_0538.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,811
  • DSC_0540.jpg
    DSC_0540.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • Rotation of DSC_0530.jpg
    Rotation of DSC_0530.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • Rotation of DSC_0532.jpg
    Rotation of DSC_0532.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,364
  • Rotation of DSC_0543.jpg
    Rotation of DSC_0543.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,327

kempez

Very professional looking mate, great job.

How do they sound? Any different?

Yaka

wow you did a nice job, how did you manage to get such nice glossy finish?

also why not stick in a pic of the speakers an how they looked before? and dont forget the pics of the av stand/cabinet you made. :clap:

alz2605

:eek: You made them!?!? Fantastic job mate! I saw your set up in the gallery section and liked the look of your speakers there! I like them even more knowing you made them your self!

Any chance you can knock me up a set?

AV Happy

wow you did a nice job, how did you manage to get such nice glossy finish?

also why not stick in a pic of the speakers an how they looked before? and dont forget the pics of the av stand/cabinet you made. :clap:

I have to admit I got someone to do the finishing for me
I've put some quick pics in the gallery but I need to get some better ones posted

davehk

They look very nice - but how do they sound. Speaker cabinet design is a very complex subject, and even though you've kept the volumes the same there are many other variables. What type of cabs are they - IB? ported?

RowdenCO

I like these alot :) You must be very proud of your hard work. Who cares if they sound rubbish.... they look the ********, but im sure if you used the size of the original speakers and just replicated new enclosures, they'll sound as good as they look.

What make of paint did you use and what colour is it & what did you apply it with Roller? Brush? Spray?

I'm planning a high strength floating wall shelf for my AV equipment and would love it if I can replicate that finish.

AV Happy

I like these alot :) You must be very proud of your hard work. Who cares if they sound rubbish.... they look the ********, but im sure if you used the size of the original speakers and just replicated new enclosures, they'll sound as good as they look.

What make of paint did you use and what colour is it & what did you apply it with Roller? Brush? Spray?

I'm planning a high strength floating wall shelf for my AV equipment and would love it if I can replicate that finish.

Cheers Rowden :thumbsup:,
I'm really pleased with how they came out, I fired them up last night, coupled with the Polk ceiling speakers once the Onkyo had done its stuff they sound fantastic. I'm sure some purists would be turning in their graves at this but what the hell i achieved my objectives, cheap speakers that dont look cheap and they are wife friendly to boot, job done.

I had a mate do the finishing for me its a polyester spray finish in high gloss white as used on glossy kitchen doors.

Cheers again

J

stevoknevo

Top bombing Sir:thumbsup: Your happy with them, the Wife's happy with them:clap:
Wish I had half your talent mate, well done.

Sofa-loafer

Fantastic achievement & a very 'environmental' solution... They look superb sir!

I'd love to see 'a wall of sound'. By that I mean a Plasma/LCD floating wall/fake breast build with all the speakers built in. I suppose it'd be a wall mounted (template) housing for a full set of in-wall speakers... I'm in the process of designing a system like this for my new-build house.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom