1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pulsar, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello.

It is now full steam ahead with my home cinema as I sold my car:D . tomorrow I plan on starting to make my screen. I am going to use curtain blackout material stretched over a wooden frame with a black boarder. I can see that a lot of people use grey screens, what is the advantage of this?

I will be getting a Sony HS10.

Which side of the material is best to use? (there is a difference between the 2, one seems smoother than the other)

Can I / should I paint the material grey, or buy grey material.

All help is appreciated on this matter as I have not been able to find much information on this matter anywhere. I don't want my home cinema to be poo because I have a poor screen.:(

Many Thanks

Rob

2. byronm

byronm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would use the coated side to project on.

I have used blackout, screen goo and Dazian cloth. I've enjoyed my Dazian screen cloth DIY screen the most (100" 4:3 screen) which i spent about 70 bucks to build.

With your HS-10 a white wall is going to look good :)

I have my screen pictures & info in my sig

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    A grey screen gives you darker perceived blacks in the image it also gives you grey whites. In my experience grey screens look good on their own and better the brighter the projector. They don't always look so good next to an ordinary screen where you can see the brighter and cleaner colours matte white gives you.

I would think the smooth side.

Try painting an offcut of the blackout cloth grey and comparing it to the unpainted screen it's what I am doing along with getting screen samples from several manufactures.

I'm still using a temporary white painted wall... hope my loan's approved soon :)