1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home-made screen - anyone tried this ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Insp.Gadget, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I need to fit a screen in a bow window recess, and all of the screens I've seen advertised are either the wrong size or have a huge overhang each side so the screen ends up being too small while the casing fits the hole.

So my question is, has anyone made their own roller screen, using the roller blind kits and curtain blackout material ? I've seen this kit (below) and was wondering if this, used with the blackout material (which I've heard people use frequently) and the stifstuf spray (which apparently "stiffens fabric") would make a useable screen which would fit my space exactly.

Roller Blind Kit

Any comments anyone has on using this material or these kits would be greatly appreciated, as I can't see any other way around my problem.

Thanks
    Greg

2. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if anyone's done it with a roller blind but a few of us have done it by making wooden frames and stretching the blackout material around that.

However, you can't roll them away - I currently have an 8Ft screen in my 14ft square bedroom :eek:
    I may look into this, wonder if they do the spring loaded one in 96"?

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I did do this but had problems eith ripples ended up buying a "real" screen

4. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd considered this may be a problem but thought maybe a combination of that jiffy stiffner stuff and some weighting on the blind would eliminate that.

Maybe not...

5. ukblueboy

ukblueboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried making one this weekend, it didnt work, too many ripples. But I have thought about getting a ready made blackout roller blind and cutting it to size, the blackout material seems as if it would be ok and I dont think the material will ripple like ordinary blackout material

6. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, so it looks like the curtain material is out, how about the same idea (DIY roller blind) but using Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision material ? Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, AVCOM sell this material for about £6 + VAT per square foot. I've not much experience with screen material - would this be suitable provided (like goof says) the bottom is weighted and/or there are some tension devices at the side.

I would be interested in anyones opinion on this material, as it sounds like a good balance between good blacks and OK whites.

7. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Admittedly, I know almost nothing about screen materials but I don't see how you could go that far wrong on this stuff...

You're making a budget screen so obviously aren't after top notch (but between you and me there probably isn't much diffo between curtain material and a £1000 screen...the rich blokes will just say there is to justify the cost ;) ).

I'm with you on the screen material - surely there couldn't be any ripples if it was weighted? (but you can imagine it's possible with blackout material due to stretching).

I really think you should try it out and I can venture based on your experience :D

Btw, I mailed the place you linked asking about a 96" spring-loaded blind but no reponse yet...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd be tempted to tether the bottom to the floor to get some tension, possibly in several places with some sort of hooks so as not to distort the bottom stiffener.

9. ethanol

ethanol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a bit of a similar situation. I'm trying to find a creative solution to putting something up in front of a bay window.

What I was thinking of doing was to use blackout material and then attach (via elastic) hooks to each corner which could then be hooked (when the screen was in use) to hooks on the walls either side of the windows (top and bottom)

This would hopefully eliminate any issues with the fabric rippling as it would be kept taught at all 4 corners.

One of the main advantages being that the screen only be up when being used and the only impact to the room would be 4 small hooks.

Anyone thought about / already done this?

10. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, I mailed them too but get the feeling they're not exactly on the cutting edge of technology so am not expecting a reply. I've ended up ordering my 96" kit from here

Merrick & Day

as they took a credit card and it was cheaper overall. No sign of a spring loaded one though.

The screen place also do Da-Mat material which was £4.60 a foot (or something like that) and also a normal white 1.0 gain material so I'm not sure which to go for. I get the feeling I'm gonna like the grey more than the white though.

I'll let you know what happens and prob post some pics if it works. All I need now is for the AE300 to be released in this country and I'll be all set !!

11. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I for one would deffinately appreciate an update!

Best of luck:)