home made power cables

ppj

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone , i was thinking of making my own power ables for my hifi and plasmas and was wondering is it possible to make good ones yourself and where to get the stuff from:thumbsup:

In short, don't!
It is possible but one reason we have moulded plugs is the poor handmade connections could lead to electrical fires.
Just buy decent ready made ones. It's cheaper anyway.

It is possible but one reason we have moulded plugs is the poor handmade connections could lead to electrical fires.

Some how or another we survived with electricity and hand-made cables for a lot longer than we've had moulded plugs so I would be too worried on that score :)

One advantage of making your own is you can get them the exact length you need and reduce all the clutter.

I'm sure someone will post a few links for you soon if not have a good search as I seem to recall a similar question a couple of weeks back.

Nothing wrong with the idea but results can be mixed. For starters you can use heavy duty ie high amp cable from a local diy supplier. I made one up for my sub as needed a specific length and wasn't up for major expense for a custom length. Purchasing the iec plug part is not as easy though. I got mine from Russ Andrews however I think Maplins do them now as well. edit:markgrant to be honest I would just buy one of his unless you need huge lengths

I can see this thread heading the way all mains ones do,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Last edited:
PPJ

you can get all the neccessary bits from farnell cpc, a few metres of CY 3 core cable, MK toughplugs and Schurter IEC's, or if you prefer something a bit better Wattgate IEC's or on e-bay for a song

farnell have a handling charge for all orders under £40.00 but you should get enough materials for that to make at least 5 cables

isoteks budget cable which is based on similar materials sells for about £50.00, if in doubt when assembling consult an electrician of course

if you pay postage I will send you a starter cable free of charge, is 1 metre long enough?

I made up a couple of shielded mains cables for my cd and dvd players using twin overall braided screen cable from maplins, the cable cores was the same size as there 5 amp 2 core mains cable 16/0.2mm and cost me 98p a meter, worth a try at that price. No good if you require a 3 core cable. In my option the cables worked better then the £10 plus cable I bought from ebay. Connected red/black to L and N and the braid to the earth connection at the 3 pin plug.

Similar to the Flavor 3 Power Cord shown here.

DIY Power Cord

Nothing wrong with the idea but results can be mixed. For starters you can use heavy duty ie high amp cable from a local diy supplier. I made one up for my sub as needed a specific length and wasn't up for major expense for a custom length. Purchasing the iec plug part is not as easy though. I got mine from Russ Andrews however I think Maplins do them now as well. edit:markgrant to be honest I would just buy one of his unless you need huge lengths

I can see this thread heading the way all mains ones do,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Great to see Russ Andrews and Maplin in the same sentence!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom