home made flapjacks

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to make my own flapjacks tonight, followed the recipe to the letter but they have turned out a little dry, any ideas?

recipe was:
300g oats
200g unsalted butter
6 tablespoons of golden syrup
pinch of salt

melted the butter into the syrup in a pan, then poured it over the oats and mixed together. then into the over for 25mins at 180c.
it said to take out when it was still a little soft, but having never them before i didn't know how soft it should be, so i ended up leaving them in there a little longer as i thought they were still a bit too soft.
however, once cooled they have gone quite hard. they look good, crispy on the outside, but a bit dry and they crumble apart in the middle.

have i just baked them for too long? should i use more syrup? i much prefer them when they are chewy rather than crunchy.

ta :thumbsup:

that was my first thought.
my dad said the recipe he has says to bake for 25mins but he only gives them 19-20mins. will give this a go next time and hope for a better result.

I know a lady who used to make fantastic flapjacks for the school where she worked and the scout group where she helped out. They were always a great favourite for trips.

I have got the recipie somewhere - I'll try and dig ig it out.

The thing that amazed me with the recipie was just how much syrup she used - a full 900g tin to 1kg of decent Scottish Oats. Plus an amount of real butter.

I think it must have been the amount of syrup that made them moist.

Cheers,

Nigel

going to try another batch tonight after the gym - will try a little more syrup and a little less cooking time

That sounds about right, go to the gym for a workout and then sit down to a plate of flapjacks:).

Thinner spread with shorter and hotter cooking time for crunchy, thicker slower and cooler for chewy.

Thinner spread with shorter and hotter cooking time for crunchy, thicker slower and cooler for chewy.
Try to keep the spread around an 1" thick & bake for 15 mins. If it's a fan oven knock the temp back around 10%.

It's trial & error to a degree to get them just how you like them.

Just watch what shape you make them. They may be classed as an offensive weapon otherwise. :)

Last edited:
Next time try using black treacle.. I made some to take to work.. Most people's reactions were 'urgh' then 'mmmm, can I have another...just to make sure ' :)

yep, made some more with a slightly differnt recipe from my dad - 100g of butter, 75g golden syrup, 75g soft brown sugar and 225g of oats and only cooked for 19-20 mins (although the recipe says 30 mins).

turned out nice and a bit gooier/chewier

Just putting it out there, but thought about doing them in a bain marie? Of course, nothing fancy, just putting the baking tin inside a larger vessel with some water, helps moisten the cooking process.

Why bother making your own,i buy a big slab of the stuff from the supermarket and it tastes just as good :thumbsup:

Flapjack Ninja Stars :D

yeah, **** it, why bother making anything yourself eh?

It's only oats and syrup,not a 12 course meal.

By the time you've messed about you could have bought some.Atleast it would be edible :laugh:

So because something is easy to make you should buy it because it's cheap?. That is how you learn,by having a go even at the simplest things, plus you know exactly what has gone into the food you are eating.Many bought food stuffs contain a lot of salt and additives and the main thing is when you diy is the "I MADE THAT" feeling.

So because something is easy to make you should buy it because it's cheap?. That is how you learn,by having a go even at the simplest things, plus you know exactly what has gone into the food you are eating.Many bought food stuffs contain a lot of salt and additives and the main thing is when you diy is the "I MADE THAT" feeling.

I'd prefer to eat a nice moist shop bought flapjack,rather than sit there and say "I MADE THAT" as i bit into a dry, manky one ;) :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom