Home-made chicken soup, how to?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
Tucking into some soup here but I always thought home-made chicken soup should be easy enough to make right?

Recipes below please :cool:

What you will need.....

One chicken Oxo cube.
One pint of water.
One medium sized saucepan.
One soup bowl.
1 soup spoon
A slice of bread (Optional)

Method......

Boil the water in the saucepan. When simmering add the chicken Oxo cube, stir for around 10 seconds then pour into the soup bowl.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Depends if you like cream of or just normal

plain - chicken carcass, onion, tiny bit of garlic, some potato - leave out the potato to start, boil the carcass with onion garlic other veg for flavour, boil - simmer for a while, then remove carcass, keep the stock - put potatos and veg in - cook/simmer til veg cooked - then put any left over chicken from the carcass in

if you want creamy, leave the chicken out and puree all the liquid and add cream, then put some chicken in at the end.

will never taste like heinz etc but there's 2 ways.

Sorry I dont have measuments or times etc just go with what feels/looks right I guess, probably better recipes about the internet!

What you will need.....

One chicken Oxo cube.
One pint of water.
One soup bowl.
1 soup spoon

Method......

Boil the water in the saucepan. When simmering add the chicken Oxo cube, stir for around 10 seconds then pour into the soup bowl.

Enjoy!

I'd use that more as a stock as a base of a recipe rather than just drinking that, Doesn't sound too appetising to me to be honest, never tried it but, i'd rather add a bit more to it some veg, and such ?

Carcass eh? Where is Jamie Oliver when you need him!

When you have had a roast chicken for dinner and used most of the meat from the carcase don't throw it away.

1.Put carcase in a large pot with plenty of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hr or so, add salt pepper & veg stock cube.

2.Get veggies ready but dont put in pan yet,Chop a large onion/carrot/leek/some mushrooms/a handfull of peas.

3.Drain off liquid into another pan, you will find most of the remaining meat has fell of the bone but strip any remaining meat from carcase and add to the liquid.

4.Throw pepared veggies into the pan with the chicken stock add some garlic paste/spoonfull mustard/worcester sauce and dried herbs and let soup simmer for 1hr.If you have some mini pasta shells or shapes throw a good hanfull in.

5.If you want a thin soup leave as is or add a little cornflour if you prefer a thick soup.

It sounds a lot of work but in reality its dead easy,if you don't like some of the ingredients substitute with what you like or what you have available.Soup is very versatile with what you put in, its what ever you want to make it with.

It sounds a lot of work but in reality its dead easy,if you don't like some of the ingredients substitute with what you like or what you have available.
Well now is a good a time as any to roast a chicken for the first time :rotfl: Should be a cinch right? Just bung it in the oven and return after a DVD? :)

And switch the oven ON:D200 deg C for around 2hrs depending on size of bird(the chicken not your wife/girlfriend)

Sounds like you need a decent cookery book and the best cookery book of the lot for someone in your position is Complete Cookery Course by Delia Smith as not only does it tell you exactly how to do almost everything, all recipes actually work very well unlike some other books

What you will need.....

One chicken Oxo cube.
One pint of water.
One soup bowl.
1 soup spoon

Method......

Enjoy!

Made me laugh :rotfl:

The green oxo for vegetable soup, and the red oxo for beef soup who needs cook books.

When you have had a roast chicken for dinner and used most of the meat from the carcase don't throw it away.

1.Put carcase in a large pot with plenty of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hr or so, add salt pepper & veg stock cube.

2.Get veggies ready but dont put in pan yet,Chop a large onion/carrot/leek/some mushrooms/a handfull of peas.

3.Drain off liquid into another pan, you will find most of the remaining meat has fell of the bone but strip any remaining meat from carcase and add to the liquid.

4.Throw pepared veggies into the pan with the chicken stock add some garlic paste/spoonfull mustard/worcester sauce and dried herbs and let soup simmer for 1hr.If you have some mini pasta shells or shapes throw a good hanfull in.

5.If you want a thin soup leave as is or add a little cornflour if you prefer a thick soup.

It sounds a lot of work but in reality its dead easy,if you don't like some of the ingredients substitute with what you like or what you have available.Soup is very versatile with what you put in, its what ever you want to make it with.

That saved me a lot of typing! Pretty much identical to what I do. And definitely recommended!

Sounds like you need a decent cookery book and the best cookery book of the lot for someone in your position is Complete Cookery Course by Delia Smith as not only does it tell you exactly how to do almost everything, all recipes actually work very well unlike some other books
Well hmmm.... not sure if I want to give people the wrong idea :D

And I can also make proper gravy as well instead of that bisto stuff :)

That saved me a lot of typing! Pretty much identical to what I do. And definitely recommended!

Me too, but I add celery (underated veg, especially in a soup) and some cream. Son't be afraid to add plenty of salt and pepper, unless of course you have used soy sauce, in which case go easy on the salt!

Oh and for the chicken, put it in a large cooking dish or prefereably a turkey roaster tin.
Add a good bit of water and some oil, plenty of salt and pepper, maybe some garlic under the skin if you can be bothered.
Cook at about 180 (pre heat the overn....!) for about 1.5 - 2hrs, depending on size. Every half an hour, take it out and baste it. Keep an eye on the fluid level, especially if you are not using a roasting tin.

Traditional Cypriot Chicken, Egg and Lemon soup.....

Taken from here

Ingredients:

Half of a medium-sized chicken
One cup of rice
3 eggs
3 lemons

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Place the chicken in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to boil.

When chicken is half-cooked add the rice and continue boiling.

When chicken is almost cooked, remove and cut it into small pieces. Take some stock (juices) from the chicken. Put the chicken pieces back with the rice and continue boiling. Place the chicken stock to one side to cool.

Beat the eggs and add them to the cooled chicken stock together with the juice of the lemons. Mix well.

Add this mixture to the chicken and rice (ensure you stir well while pouring) and continue boiling until thoroughly cooked.

Serve piping hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks, though the idea of chicken soup I figure rather like porridge is that it forms part of the 'safe' "eat when you are feeling low diet"

Not being funny, but when did Delia go into such daring uncharted territories? Last I saw her on TV she was teaching people how to buy eggs :p

This is my recipe:

Chicken Breast
Diced Onion
Chopped Garlic (2-3 cloves)
Diced Carrot
Diced Celery
Tablespoon of tomato puree
1 Pint Chicken Stock (Knorr cubes)

Fry onions, chicken, carrots and celery until chicken is browned. Add garlic and fry a little more. Add a little salt and pepper. Add tomato puree and cooke for a few minutes then add stock.

Cook for a bout 30 minutes until veg is cooked.

Take half the soup out and liquidize. Add liquidized soup back to saucepan.

Taste for seasoning and the add a little cream before serving :)

Just tried some chicken, mushroom and rice soup. Obviously supermarket prepared but hmm works

Will see how to go from here. At the moment it is roast a chicken then make soup the next day, or buy a liquidiser and not have to roast a chicken

Well now is a good a time as any to roast a chicken for the first time :rotfl: Should be a cinch right? Just bung it in the oven and return after a DVD? :)

Take one 1.5kg chicken and put in a roasting tin. Put it in the oven at 190 (170 fan). Roast for 90 minutes. Do not open the oven or baste, just leave it. It doesn't matter what you rub on it, stuff it with or put round it, this timing never varies.
Follow these few rules and you will always be able to roast a chicken.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom