1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Made Calibration VCD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jrwood, Feb 20, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been toying with this idea for quite a few months now. If anyone reads avsforum.com then you may know that Blight has kindly given out some of his code which displays patterns within ZoomPlayer so you can calibrate your projector from them.

I plan to program (in delphi) some more patterns for Zoomplayer depending on how well my programming skills have survived all these years!.

However the next project would be to create a Calibration VCD that anyone could use, and tailor it to projector users and anyone else for that matter. I`m sure with input from knowledgable folks here this would become a very valuable contribution to the HT community.

Therefore if anyone has ideas/calibration pictures/articles please post them here. I don't mind being the one compiling the SVCD but if anyone else has started this kind of project already then far be it for me to re-invent the wheel. I also have a lot of frequency sound test files for audio which could be included on the SVCD. The project would of course be completely free, just like ZoomPlayer :)

Comments welcome!.

James

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James

I would be interested in this.

There may be some technical issues i.e. some DVD players will not play VCD. Also not sure about sound i.e. DTS replay from VCD?

Let me know if I can help. In the meantime, I'll do a bit of research and post back.

Cheers

Laurel

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush:

Just noticed I'm in the HTPC forum, so my comment on DVD players is not that relevant.

My next project is to get the PC rigged up to my RP set though so still very interested.

Cheers

Laurel

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    All DVD players will play original VCD's.The problem arises when you copy one onto CD-R or CD-RW.The laser in the DVD has to be able to read this format.I think Easy CD Creator 5 has a facility to make CD-R's readable in any DVD player.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I applaud your motivations but I think it is reinventing the wheel a little . You've got Video Essentials and Avia not to mention numerous optimoded dvds and collectively they contain patterns for just about every appraisable image criteria you care to name.

To be honest I could make do with the snell and wilcox pattern2 on VE for most things.

If you do design your own make sure you do it by the numbers and stick religously to logical 8bit video code values mapped to relevant IRE values.

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I realise that Avia and Video Essentials can be bought (89 dollars from amazon.com ?!?!)... just for a few test patterns. Anyway at least when you do something yourself you can customise it to your own needs.

I will have to read up on the IRE values, I take it when you mean 8 bit video code values to mean 255,255,0 is yellow etc ?

If you have any pattern ideas feel free to explain, I will probably use photoshop to create the patterns although I may do it in vector format for ease of use.

James

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    yes I mean 0-255 for each channel : bear in mind that video legal values play a role; I forget the specifics but 100% isn't 255 for video legal if I remember rightly. ( and I seem to recall you don't get any information stored below 16) Charles Pointon would be a good name to do a search on on the web for specifics relating to this and non-linear video intensity scale displaying on theoretical linear display devices.

pattern wise you need to use something that interrogates the usual image critera: black point , whitepoint , grayscale/gamma , white balance , colour rendition , resolution , frequency response , convergence , geometry.

Considering what you get on both Avia and VE I'd say they are pretty good value and they are trustworthy ( which is the whole point of calibration material after all : it shouldn't be arbitrary).

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I dont get though is why Avia is 80 dollars....

thanks for the information, I got Blights little bit of code working in Delphi...however I can see why he has done the simple patterns....why oh why he doesnt want to implement my idea of having a /patterns directory which if you press SHIFT+P to cycle through the patterns it just loads up the pictures in that directory!.

I may change the idea of SVCD though and make it more interactive, not entirely sure at the moment...just playing with ideas :)

Would people prefer an SVCD or an interactive type calibration program?. I think tomorrow I will readup on Charles and IRE etc... :)

thanks for the info.

James

9. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jr wood,

I would be interested in collaborating on something like this, we have dvd burning capabilties - maybe we could get it onto dvd.

I also have reasonable production facilties.

Just out of interest why code it ?- It need only be exact spec graphics, surely carefully constructed from graphics from art/paint/video packages. I've pretty much got all of these, as well as access to studio help etc ... from some fairly knowledgeable engineers.

The reason I think (in most) british home cinephiles eyes that avia fails to be of interest is its american slant. Sure you can re-adress for component but what about PAL. Also avia contains a painful menu system that doesn't cut to the chase, as well as dopey video talkies. Not to mention the cost.

Isn't the RGB-YUV colourspace illegal beyond 235 ?

Also what about RGB gain set-up, I'm, always having to do this by eye and constantly fiddling with it? What about colour temperature, is there anyway of calibrating this without an expensive device?

Ofcourse we would always recommend an ISF, we don't want to put them out of a job!

Not trying to steal your thunder just offering some suggestions.

:)

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROne anyone can help whether it's just advice, a pattern they made, technical information, resources etc. The more people who input to the project the better the final outcome will be. The only thing I would like to add is this is about a combined effort to help everyone in calibrating their TV's/Video Projectors with the help of this SVCD or DVD. As this is a combined effort it should remain free, I hope everyone agrees on this?.

I need to do a lot of reading up on the technical aspects of calibration, the first thing I plan to do is a rough inventory of what should be included in the calibration project.

The problem with SVCD is that making graphics to explain the calibration process will take a lot of time, and I would think that most of us here work fulltime/busy lives. Creating a calibration program would be interactive (i.e audio/video/intro/test menus etc), perhaps we should have a vote :)

Again I`m open to all kinds of ideas, nothing is set in stone.

I think the best way forward is to ask people, what they require from a calibration video.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    The other problem with SVCD is that by no means will all DVD players play them. The safest approach is standard VCD.

As far as I can gather, if you use STILL images on a VCD, then you can actually use images with a resolution of twice that for moving images in both directions - eg for PAL, moving VCD = 352x288; still = 704x576. At this higher resolution, the resolution is the same as on DVD.