Home Lighting

VJDabs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to renovate my new house and am in the process of choosing home automation.

I would like to install it my self but will have an electrician to do all the wiring. I will have the following setup and would like to have scenes in Lounge and kitchen.

Lounge 1
1 x Dimmable LED Strip lighting
1 x Dimmable recessed down lighting

Lounge 2
1 x Dimmable LED Strip lighting

Kitchen
1 x LED Strip Cabinet lighting

Downstairs Hall

Upstairs Hall

Bedroom's

I would like to have 2/3 scenes for the Lounge rooms and Kitchen.

I have had a look at Lutron Radio RA2 but I think its only available in US, can I get this in the UK?

Would Rako work? Is it recommended and advisable to use?

Any better solution?

I can't afford to send much but which is a downside but would like to be able to add elements in the future.

Regards

VJ

Rako would work. You can choose to set it up yourself and I found it fairly straight forward. It is also easy to retrofit; if you want to add table lamps, say, to your scenes at a later date, then this is easy to do.

The wired version of Rako would give you more scenes and flexibility in each room but you may well find the wireless system perfectly adequate

Do you actually want a home automation system? Or are you just after a sophistication light control system?

If you want the former, Rako needs to be controlled by something and I'd recommend going with an all in one system such as Idratek or Control4. Judging by the lack of inputs/sensors being mentioned I assume you want the latter in which case Rako will work (along with the previous suggestions as well).

Thanks for the info DIYLady, have you already implemented Rako and how long have you used it for?

I was looking at full home automation originally with Lutron but its well expensive. Control4 looks good and has adequate wall switches. Can Control4 be self installed?

Crestron Prodigy could also fit your needs.

Audio, video and lighting control on multiple contollers, iPads and straight buttons.

V.

Hi

Looking at your lighting requirements, I would say that you don't have enough circuits to warrant a cost effective Lutron Homeworks install. Less than about Twenty or so circuits and it is more expensive than, say, Grafik Eye. If you were set on going with Lutron, the Grafik QS is a cost effective unit (up to 6 circuits per controller, built in astronomical clock, able to connect multiple Grafik Eyes in a single system, support for shades and so on). It's still not particularly cheap for some basic on/off and dimming, and there are plenty of other capable products out there, which may be a better fit for your requirements.

I don't want to put you off, but as a Lutron and Crestron dealer, its at the top end in functionality and price, and there are plenty of systems out there worth looking at that may be more affordable - Dynalite, Mode, iLight, Rako, Clipsal (now Schneider), Futronix for starters

Have a think about what you want to achieve, both in standalone lighting control and as part of an integrated solution (multiroom, home cinema etc.) and look at some of the features of the different systems.

It is difficult to price something if you don't fully understand the architecture, but there are people on this board that can give you a pretty good idea. Clearly Rako is a popular system here - its not as cheap as you might think, but it is something you can do yourself and you will get help, which is worth a lot.

I don't feel I have been overly helpful, but thought I should say something anyway.

Best of Luck

VJDabs said:
Thanks for the info DIYLady, have you already implemented Rako and how long have you used it for?

I was looking at full home automation originally with Lutron but its well expensive. Control4 looks good and has adequate wall switches. Can Control4 be self installed?

Installed the first room 3 years ago. Gradually added more rooms and functionality over time.

After much thought I have decided to go the Rako route. Thanks for tha advice all!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the use of RAK4 units recommended?
2. I am going to install LED cove lighting which is dimmable what will I need to it hooked up to the RAK4 module? I know the LED strips require a Dimmable LED Driver, 0-10v Dimmer and LED Strip. Am i correct in saying that the RAK4 acts as the LED Driver and I will need to buy a Rako wireless Dimmer?

Thanks

VJ

After much thought I have decided to go the Rako route. Thanks for tha advice all!

2. I am going to install LED cove lighting which is dimmable what will I need to it hooked up to the RAK4 module? I know the LED strips require a Dimmable LED Driver, 0-10v Dimmer and LED Strip. Am i correct in saying that the RAK4 acts as the LED Driver and I will need to buy a Rako wireless Dimmer?
Thanks
VJ

1 - Not for retrofitting as you will have to rip out all the existing lighting rings and replace with wiring back to central point.
2 - I would install RDT500s which negates the above and controls dimmable LEDs plus most other lights (not dimmable CFLs)

Stuart

VJDabs said:

Thanks

VJ

As above I would agree that rak4s are not really aimed at retrofit

For you led lights use an RLED. These are a combined driver and dimmer that come in constant current and constant voltage versions. Use the one that is appropriate for your set up. You will also need a power supply unit. So lighting feed goes into PSU then into RLED then to LED light

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom