1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Lighting - Thoughts Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dre, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Folks,

Tried looking around the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for, hopefully somebody can help.

Some time back I saw on one of the gadget shows a 'house of the future' in which it used LED lighting throughout the house on the floor, up lighting the walls, in the walls and even as a wall of a shower to create a screen effect! All of this was controlled by a computer which could be programmed to set the lighting for the entire house depending on mood etc or even illuminate in one room based on the sound. The cost of this was about 12K.

Now my question is I am looking at doing this for my new house but I would like to know what I need for this. Most LED lighting I have found are just bulbs or strips for under car etc, I have not found anything similar or a site that provides help on a house set up.

As you can tell I really haven't got a clue but would love some advice.

Thanks in advance

2. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?

3. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  4. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Rowland...just what I was looking for...out of interest, the main reason I wanted LED lighting was the ability to hide the lighting, the low heat and power consumtion and the fact that they could be used for changing the colour without changing the bulbs. If I were not to go down the LED route is there a cheaper option which could gie me a this?

Thanks Again :smashin:

5. Bill Noble

Bill Noble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would think very carefully before going down the path of using LEDs as the main or only lighting in a room. They do have many advantages but the technology has still not yet reached the point where the colour rendition is good enough. What this means is that under LED light some colours are not properly rendered, they will appear to be a different colour. The technology is advancing all the time and the CRI value for LEDs is improving, but definately not good enough yet for general use in the home.

6. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Bill will bear that in mind...any suggestions for something else instead of the LED route...my main requirement is that it need to be discreet and be able to do multiple colours.