home insurance

anyone know the best place to get one?Thanks

Go to moneysupermarket.com and compare quotes. Then go to quidco.com and see who is offering the best cashback.

I ended up going for Legal & General and got £60 cashback from quidco.....worked out at £142 for the year for buildings and contents (including track and trace cover and named high value items) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Go to moneysupermarket.com and compare quotes. Then go to quidco.com and see who is offering the best cashback.

I ended up going for Legal & General and got £60 cashback from quidco.....worked out at £120 for the year for buildings and contents (including track and trace cover and named high value items) :thumbsup:

that seems very good

L & G have a good record for paying out on claims too, remember the cheapest quotes are usually the ones who'll do every thing to wriggle out of paying up when you claim

also with l and g so another vote for legal and general

Tesco was cheapest for me, by a long way.Told them my nearest quote was £250 less than it was and they matched it:)

I would say never base your choice of home insurance on price, have a good think about the level of cover you need.

It's not that cheaper ones wriggle out of paying like suggested earlier it the thread, the fact is that they do not necessarily cover everything a slightly more expensive policy would.

Before you buy have a read of the policy booklet and make sure it is what you need, also be honest about EVERYTHING they ask you, it will only come back and bite you when you claim

I would say never base your choice of home insurance on price, have a good think about the level of cover you need.

It's not that cheaper ones wriggle out of paying like suggested earlier it the thread, the fact is that they do not necessarily cover everything a slightly more expensive policy would.

Before you buy have a read of the policy booklet and make sure it is what you need, also be honest about EVERYTHING they ask you, it will only come back and bite you when you claim

Yes I picked LV but when I go to the end I found the quote although about 60 quid cheaper did not include legal cover or accidental damage to contents, both of which would have 70 quid dearer.
I agree about being honest but i am not sure about when the house was built so i put 1890 ie Victorian and the locks on my front door is just a basic yale lock and standard mortice one so I just put other.Back door is mortice as well.The rest was easy

Good deals on offer with Quidco atm. A recent policy resulted in the insurer paying me to buy a policy from them - http://www.quidco.com/?search=insurance

not sure I quite understand you from that link:confused:There is just a list of insurers on that page similar to what I had except for cars .I just picked one based on someones recommendation ie LV

not sure I quite understand you from that link:confused:There is just a list of insurers on that page similar to what I had except for cars .I just picked one based on someones recommendation ie LV

The purpose of the quidco link was simply to demonstrate some of the cash back deals available at tne moment rather than to simply list insurance companies.

If you clicked through quidco to LV you would have get £45 back...

"
LV= Home Insurance

You need to be logged in to earn cashback.
Liverpool Victoria Home Insurance - high quality insurance at a competitive price. Great benefits include: 20% online discount, 24 hour claim line, new-for-old cover for most contents (apart from clothing and household linen), replacements for many lost or damaged items delivered FREE to your door and optional Legal Expenses cover. Quote and buy online in just a few minutes.
For genuine tracked transactions completed wholly online, you can earn:
£45"

Just had a call from Castle over 50s insurance brokers and they put me in touch with AXA. After the usual rigmarole which took ages,they came up with a quote 30 quid dearer:rolleyes: and thats with exlusions like burnt kitchen work surfaces.
I think LV might be worth considering depending on what they cover .For me things like damaged roofs, broken windows, damaged kitchen cupboards flooring and gas ,electric, water services should be automatic, but it doesnt always appear to be so.When insurance companies mention building accidental cover thay always use putting ones foot through a ceiling as an example but what if somone chucks a brick at my window? LV seem to want an extra £115 for accidental damage for building cover:eek:

well I finally got there :clap:Asda via quidco although I phoned them to cheque i was getting full cover , a bloke took over asking all the usual questions insisted I pay over the phone( safer) but told me I should still get my Quidco reimbursement as the transaction goes through the system.Hope he is right as there is £68 involved.

Reading this thread has made made curious as to what I'm covered for, so since it's a miserable day out :( I've decided to have a look through my policy with Legal & General.....

Buildings
What's covered: Your home will be insured against loss or damage from many causes, including, but not limited to:

fire, smoke, explosion, lightning, or earthquake...malicious acts of vandalism, storm or flood....subsidence, heave, or landslip.....theft or attempted theft....escape of water and leakage of oil....falling trees.

We automatically include insurance against:

accidental damage to underground pipes or cables....accidental breakage of fixed glass and fixed sanitaryware....your legal liability as ower of the buildings for causing injury to others or their property to a value of £2m.

Also included as standard:

costs of making good gardens damaged by the fire brigade, the costs of tracing the source of a water leak or oil leak and repairing floors, walls, and ceilings up to £5k, home emergency cover of up to £150 to cover call out fees, labour and cost of materials needed to make your home safe following an emergency

Building:
£500k - property rebuild cost (£50 excess)
£1k - Extended accidental property
£50k - Alternative accomodation (eg hotel bills, rent in the event of having to move out for repair work)

Contents summarised as follows:
£60k - contents (£50 excess)
£15k - Alternative accommodation(furnishings)
£20k - high risk property (£3k limit per item)
£6k - Business equipment tools (home office £3k single item)
£1k - Contents outside in the open (eg kids bikes etc)
£6k - Contents in garages / outbuildings
£500 - Freezer contents
£2.5k - Personal property
£1k - Cash
Extended accidental damage (contents)
No excess
£2.5k personal property
£1k cash

Having done this little exercise, I'm actually pleased with the amount of cover I got for £142 (including quidco cashback) :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

well I finally got there :clap:Asda via quidco although I phoned them to cheque i was getting full cover , a bloke took over asking all the usual questions insisted I pay over the phone( safer) but told me I should still get my Quidco reimbursement as the transaction goes through the system.Hope he is right as there is £68 involved.

Oh dear...You haven't read the bit on quidco regarding completed wholly online....Don't see how you think it is safer to give your card details to someone you don't know over the phone to type into the same system of whoever it is that provides the insurance to ASDA which then gets transmitted just like you would have done completing it yourself online :rolleyes:

Of-course he would say to pay on the phone as he would get his sales-commission (you know a bit of that £68)...So now you have handed your card details over to a bloke that was lying...And you think that is safer :rotfl::rotfl:

Ah well...I've been for many years with Hiscox and every year I shop around, but can't find anything cheaper around...The problem is what is cheaper for one person can be more expensive for someone else since all our situations are different...

Have to agree with dejongj.....sounds like the salesman has done you over :(......hope you got a good enough price because I very much doubt you will see the £68 unless you get back on the phone and cancel, before going back onto quidco and completing the forms and payment online.

Oh
Of-course he would say to pay on the phone as he would get his sales-commission (you know a bit of that £68)...

yes it occurred to me later ,too late in fact, which is why i mentioned it here:rolleyes:All I wanted was advice from him but the next thing i know i got myself entrapped.Trouble is I always expect integrity when dealing with these muppets .Dont suppose there is any point in making any protestations to Asda

Have to agree with dejongj.....sounds like the salesman has done you over :(......hope you got a good enough price because I very much doubt you will see the £68 unless you get back on the phone and cancel, before going back onto quidco and completing the forms and payment online.

cancelling would cost me about 20 quid anyway.Main thing is i have good cover with £50 excess on building and content with accidental damage on both and legal cover plus 1000 cover for items carried outside the house for £267.Buggers wont catch me again.It annoys me though because they put this "helpline" on and it turns out to be nothing more than a sales line.Its a spratt to catch a mackeral if you ask me

L& G wanted over £330 for the same btw

Last edited:
yes it occurred to me later ,too late in fact, which is why i mentioned it here:rolleyes:All I wanted was advice from him but the next thing i know i got myself entrapped.Trouble is I always expect integrity when dealing with these muppets .Dont suppose there is any point in making any protestations to Asda
:thumbsup: Which is a good thing to expect, absolutely! The annoying thing is, can you be bothered to cancel and do it again online? I would as £68 is a tank of petrol in my car, a half decent dinner for two, half our weekly shop, a month of sky tv...you get the idea...

cancelling would cost me about 20 quid anyway.Main thing is i have good cover with £50 excess on building and content with accidental damage on both and legal cover plus 1000 cover for items carried outside the house for £267.Buggers wont catch me again.It annoys me though because they put this "helpline" on and it turns out to be nothing more than a sales line

L& G wanted over £330 for the same btw

Isn't there a cooling off period?

I'll cheque but the bloke just rattled off the terms and conditions and mentioned something about £20 cancellation fee in the process
I just checked and a 14 day period is applicable when purchasing these over the phone. It is the distant selling regulations. The £20 cancellation fee is yet another flexible-truth to make certain he'll get his commission I can only guess...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom