Home insurance - heave?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sergiup, Feb 12, 2014.

1. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,180
    Long story short, I'm finding it nigh-on-impossible to get quotes for a property that was indirectly affected by heave way back in 2001 - a tree affected a house two properties away, however since it's a terraced property it caused a few small cracks in this house too; the tree was removed, damage assessed by a structural surveyor, everything was fixed, and no issues have occurred since.

The moment I mention heave, most insurers won't even quote, others are quoting well over twice their normal price. Does anyone have any advice about how I could approach this? Thank you!

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I have had luck with Adrian Flux in the past when going for something outside the norm.

Zurich may also be able to help you.

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I underpinned my property (of a three storey semi) and braced myself for a nightmare. However, after putting it on one of these multi-quote sites (nightmare and never again!), found a great broker. He actually found good cover for less than we had been paying, so happy days.
    You could google it, so hope it's ok to post. I guarantee I have no connection, other than being a satisfied customer. Quote123.

4. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,573
    As blue max said, go to a broker. They have access to non-standard markets that will cover previously subsided or underpinned properties.

You may find they have a clause excluding pre-existing conditions (and perhaps an increase subsidence excess), but it is both doable and affordable.

5. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I'd just say that mine was for development, rather than remedial. But if they can find a reason to load you, they certainly will if they can.

6. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,180
    Thank you all! I re-read the information I had at home, and it seems that the house that was actually affected by subsidence was two doors down. I'm just clarifying how exactly this house was affected by that, but having spoken to a couple of insurers with that additional tidbit of information, it looks like I might not have to worry.

Nevertheless, it's actually been quite useful to research this and get quotes. To be updated..!