Home Install Sky Plus in Apartment

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tim k, Feb 7, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the apartment i live in has 1 communal dish i have been told getting sky plus would be expensive as the need of stackers etc. So im taking it on myself to install sky plus without regard for the management company!! So i need the basic steps of installing the sky plus, and how i connect etc. I have a large balcony which luckily faces south/westish.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well without the full co-operation of the owners of the communal sat system you can do bugger all. Without two independent feeds SKY+ is severely handicapped to such an extent it's questionable if it's worth the money.
    Unless of course you are planning to install a dish on the balcony assuming that is allowed under the terms of the lease/agreement.

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i want to put a dish on the balcony, im on the top floor so i really doubt that the management company will notice, we own the apartment for goodness sake!!

Can i get the equipment free from sky, or do i have 2 buy elsewhere?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not sure if the installation would qualify as "standard" since it is probably over the maximum height but access from a balcony might make a difference.
    You may have to contact SKY directly or talk to a local authorised agent who can do the install but offer the "free" hardware deals.

This is assuming you haven't had any subsidised hardware before:)

5. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You'll find the current offers/prices for Sky here:

http://www.sky.com/ordersky/howtoorder/onlineoffers

You looking at £99 for Sky+. And £10/ month subscription on top of the package you take.

Best thing to do is look at the link, then open the link to their "cost calculator." :thumbsup:

6. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky won't let me install if via an agent as they arent allowed 2 because of the communal dish, so i have 2 install myself. please help!

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always request an install from SKY with the discount etc but not mention the communal dish. When the installer comes round to fit everything you can point him to where you want it installed. If he says "NO" then there is no installation and should be no fee. You can then go the alternative way of a local installer in your area or a self install? People will always be willing to help and point you towards good websites with info on self installs etc.

8. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  9. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky have the building listed as communal and wont touch an extra install. So its down to a self install. That link takes me to a ebook which is 8 quid, anyone with any free info!?

10. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4