Home Gymming (weight training)

Steve Kelly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So after many years of feeding one Mr David LLoyd and his associates many hundreds, nay thousands (which makes me feel sick) of pounds, and never really making the most out of that situation, I decided to switch to training at home.

I had lots of reasons for ultimately making this decision, but the main ones being:-
- The cost - I spose I've averaged paying DL about £65-70 a month over last few years. Adds up to a lot of money, and it's ongoing/never-ending. (I know there are cheaper gym options, but I don't really like mixing with scumbags and drugged-up meat-heads. And in the end, it still all adds up on an ongoing basis)
- Once I'm home from work, I find it very hard to get the motivation to leave the house again (I'm very much a homely bod). Especially outside of the 2 or3 summer months that we get. And so consequently could never settle into a good regular training pattern.

Anyway, I thought I would post this, in case there's anyone else suffering the same sort of thing and might wanna try it too...

So a few months ago I cancelled my subscription to the gym, and thought I'd see what I could do with some dumbells, a decent bench, and a pull-up bar!
Turns out quite a lot really. It certainly covers all the major requisite compound exercises (Squat, Chest Press, Pull-ups, Dead-lifts, etc).

I already had a dumbbell set (York, cast iron, spinlock). My bro-in-law showed me his pull-up bar (which really was the catalyst for me thinking, I could really do it all at home, cos back was one thing i thought i'd miss, and I never had anywhere to 'pull-up' at my place). So I got one of those...one of these - JML Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar and it is excellent! I use it for chin-ups/pulls-ups and push-ups. I am 12 stone, but my bro-in-law is/was about 15.5/16, and it holds his weight fine (aka, it's plenty strong).

I then bought a bench, this one - York 13 in 1 DB/Hyper Bench
This bench is excellent, very sturdy strong construction. Lots of positions beside flat. it does decline, multi-positions on incline (from 15 degrees, to almost-90). the front seat pad flips up which you can use for concentration curls and also hyper-extensions.

So that was my initial equipment. Plus I bought some more york iron discs from Argos (Amazon is cheapest, Argos is most convenient. You can get these extra disc-only sets in packs of 4 x 5kgs.... 4 x 7.5kgs and 2 x 10kgs).

So I made up a routine that I could do a couple of times per week, including the main exercises (mentioned above). I did this routine for about 8 weeks. The routine was good and served as a good warm up for my muscles (hadn't been to DL gym for a few months before I cancelled it).
This week I switched to a 5-day split (Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders-Traps/Arms). I treated myself to a barbell, and some extra weights. And I've never enjoyed training more!
I've only started the 5-day split this week and I go on holiday next week, so wont be able to fully focus on it till I get back (though I will hit hotel gym, just to get my buff on, before hitting the beach...of course!).
When I get back I am getting some more weights, and a pad for the barbell, and then I'm done! (well, I probably will want an EZ bar too... but that's just a luxury)

The benefits of home gymming are abundant for me, and I love it! And it might be worth considering for some of you too.

Benefits:
- once the initial costs are of the way, you're done
- no waiting for machines
- no paying for doing it
- no travelling time/costs/inconvenience
- music/tv of your choice
- peace and quiet, i.e. no riff-raff noise
- unlimited posing time :D
- do it when you want (i.e. I usually do straight after work, but if I'm knackered, I have a power nap first, and dont start till i'm up for it)

I'm sure there are more benefits that I can't think of right now, but just know that there are loads!

One drawback I guess is my lounge has lots of cast iron weights living on the floor at the moment! but luckily it's only me and the missus in my place, and she's not a moaner about things like that, so it's fine, after day 5 I put them away for my couple of days rest.

Great sites for home workouts:-
Scoobys (for his accent alone. Oh, and great home workout tips) -
Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts
Muscle & Strength (for their exercise database/technique videos/tips - is superb) -
Exercise Video Guides: 900+ Exercises with Instructions & Tips | Muscle & Strength

So there you go. I hope that's helpful to at least some of you.
I've really started to add noticeable mass this week, after the 8 weeks on the pre-workout routine, and now onto the 5-day split.
I can share my routine with anyone that's interested.

if you made it to this point, well done! :):smashin::clap:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nice one Skellz, I can't see me ditching the gym, I get a really good rate and I find I train harder with other people around me.

But I definitely would like get a barell a few weight so I can do some quick routines when time is short and also practice form on some of my weaker excercises. Keeping a look out for a second set in the area but I keep missing them.

Like the look of the chin up bar but not sure it would work at my place I have those door with glass above them. Might see if I can fit one in the garage somewhere as that where I'd likely train with the barbell.

You doing much CV at all?

When I get back I am getting some more weights, and a pad for the barbell

A bit like not prestiging .... pads are for pussies :D

Dan Baker said:
You doing much CV at all?

None at the mo mate. My main goal is adding mass/building the body beautiful. I don't have weight to lose, so it's (CV) not essential for me at the moment.
I do want to be fit though, CV-wise, so will start going for runs as well, once i'm back from hols and used to the weekly 5-day split routine.
I'm 11% body fat, and I want to get down to 9%, and the fat on me is around my gut/lower back. It's not that big, but it's noticeable enough to want to get rid of, and will look silly with the rest of my uber-bod, when mission is completed! There's a couple of dietary things I want to change too, that will probably get the fat off me on its own anyway (in general I eat v healthily, always have since a bairn)
(on that subject I have some good things to say for you, on your other thread. I will post there when get the time.)

Dan Baker said:
A bit like not prestiging .... pads are for pussies :D

I've got a prominent vertebrae at the top of my spine, and no fat and not enough muscle (yet?!) to protect it, and so with a heavy weight on it, it f***ing hurts afterwards! so yeah.... a pad please!!
No-one'll see me using it anyway, so it don't matter if I look like a pussy! :)

I'm with you Skellz. I did exactly the same thing and in the same order - DB's, bench, pullup bar, barbell. And then added on some squat stands (which I also use to bench the bar from)
I mainly stick with the big compunds and a few isolations at the end.

All works a treat and packs away behind the sofa in the kids playroom when not in use.
I've also treated myself to an elliptical for winter cardio. Plates silde under the sofa for non moaning missus :)

Takes me 5 mins to set everything up and I've been putting on the Olympics or footy on the plasma whilst I workout

The only real downside has been the heat in the summer, I could really do with some AC to cool me down. Its lovely in the in the Winter with the patio doors open though :)

Also, check out places like fitness superstore online for weight plates. They do Chinese made standard plates that are much cheaper than the Yorks on Amazon etc. They arent as well finished as the Yorks but its all cast iron and your muscles dont care :)

2x10kg plates for 30 quid. I just buy a couple of these every few months and use the db plates for micro additions

Bodypower Cast Iron STANDARD Discs 10kg (x2) - Fitness-Superstore.co.uk

Last edited:
My "gym" is in my garage. I gave up on memberships 3 years ago and saved 45 quid a month.

I've got :

7ft and 5ft barbell
Dumbells
An old barbell attached o the rafters as a pullup bar
Squat stands
2 x 20kg kettle bells
A York power cage with latpulldown and row attachment with several hand attachments - some home made
A old old York bench
Some bricks
A couple of home made pilometric push up boxes
Some Olympic rings hanging from pull up bar , can be moved to some side when not in use
ez bar
A ton ( literally ) or weight I metal weights from 20kg down to 1kg
A tractor tyre
Punch bag
Speed ball

This little lot has been built up over 3 years and has cost n total £200 !
Colmplete bargain rack was eBay for a hundred and needed a tiny bit of work ( really just assembled correctly ) this also moles with catchers
I've not bought a single weight , ive looked through metal tips at the local tip and found some , friends have given me stuff that Didnt get used hold on I tell a lie , bought 10kg at a boot fair for a fiver once.
Kettle bells where two separate birthday presents
Loads of stuff given or ought second hand

Bricks used to raise the bench

The bench is getting too old and will need replacing soon.

Tractor tyre given to me by a farmer

There is pretty much nothing I can't do with this lot

Just want some metal firkins/empty beer barrels from pub.not sure whether they will give me some

The only big investment I'm planning to make is a pair of proper farm walk handles. These are about 150 of the bay and there are plenty of places which will custom make then for that price.

I train outside when the whether is nice and inside when it's not.

Rings cost £20 and allow me to do dips and pull ups

I love training by myself And push myself just as hard . I recommend to most people about training at home , if you have the space .

I've had minimal cost and love it . As I've said nothing I can't do . The spotters on the power rack make all lifting very safe so the mrs is happy .

Sounds pretty impressive. Have you seen the vids of people using a tractor tyre and sledge hammer and just beating the hell out of it. Must exercise every muscle in your body.....

Fantastic post mate. I always been a big gym goer all my lift until a year ago when my job ramped up and baby no 4 arrived. U can imagine the response wen leaving work at 6pm to go to gym from the mrs?!!!

Do recently I bought a tread mill and dig out my weight bench with prob 6 inches of dust on. Ordered a bar and cast iron weights and I never looked back. I love the fact now I can leave weights in the rear garden which is fully decked out and a can hammer the sessions out then go for run when I have spare 2mins or hour. Best thing is I set up my iPad on shelf using skygo perfect.

Also recently ordered spinning bike so I have variation

Am now 2 stone lighter and saving in the pocket too.

Use eBay to buy cheap weights to build up the collection. I actually have 4 bars plus dumb bells so I created a circuit training session.

Love it

mark09 said:
I should also mention I purchased Insanity !! Looks real tough

Thats nice and hard. Couple of folks I know have had very good results if you can keep up with it .
P90x is also worth a look

wookielover said:
P90x is also worth a look

for some reason I always struggled with pull ups so I didn't take up P90x. Maybes it's time to work on the pull ups!

mark09 said:
for some reason I always struggled with pull ups so I didn't take up P90x. Maybes it's time to work on the pull ups!

Pull ups are hard no doubt but I also think its a psychological thing somewhat once you realise you can do them all of a sudden I found 5 reps came quite quickly.

If you train with a friend you can get them to hold your legs which makes the move much easier. If you are on your own you can jump into them which again makes it much easier whilst you work on the muscles needed.

MadSkellz said:
I've got a prominent vertebrae at the top of my spine, and no fat and not enough muscle (yet?!) to protect it, and so with a heavy weight on it, it f***ing hurts afterwards! so yeah.... a pad please!!
No-one'll see me using it anyway, so it don't matter if I look like a pussy! :)

Only messing boss I wear gloves in the gym and get a lot of stick for it, but I wear them as I suffer from sweaty hands so helps me with grip. Nothing wrong with using a pad in my opinion, I only recently stopped using one as I was finding it awkward so would recommend not buying one that is too thick.

Last edited:
Pull-ups are pretty hard. certainly a lot harder than they look!

this is a decent way to get you started on pull-ups...
Pullups For Total Beginners - Scooby's Home Workouts

you can jump in at any 'phase' suitable to you.
but keep at it and it works a treat.
this week I surprised myself by doing 4 sets of 8 chin-ups (the easier variant), followed by 4 sets of 5 pull-ups. All with feet off the ground and going (almost) fully extended arms to 'chin up to bar'. Was staggered by it if I'm honest.
Now I will add that up on the pull-ups, 1 rep per week, till I can do 4 sets of 8 (after 4 sets of 8 chins).

Pull-ups a LOT harder than chin-ups, btw. But chin-ups are still a great workout for your back, just doesn't work the wide part of the lats (anywhere near) as much

Only messing boss I wear gloves in the gym and get a lot of stick for it, but I wear them as I suffer from sweaty hands so helps me with grip. Nothing wrong with using a pad in my opinion, I only recently stopped using one as I was finding it awkward so would recommend not buying one that is too thick.

Yeah mate, I know the one I want, it's just 1 inch. There is a 2 inch variant, but as you say, that's way too thick. I just need something to take the edge off of the hard metal

For 'home gyming' one of the most important pieces of equipment are floor mats for bodyweight exercises. Bodyweight exercises can be brutal. I'd practice hand stands (then handstand pushups/shoulder press), partial planches, one legged squats, plenty of pullups (work on one arm when you're ready), pushups (clap, incline, decline, single arm etc), single leg Romanian deadlifts with dumbbells, split squats, chair dips, a million ab exercises etc. There's just so much you can do. These exercises will vastly improve your coordination and balance as well as strength, unlike weight lifting alone.

I've bought a skipping rope recently. Again, it's good cardio and really improves your balance, speed and coordination (you're always bouncing on your toes). Look at boxers. It costs peanuts.

Last edited:
I use my garage as a gym well - double garage, half gym half for the car!

Over the years, I've amassed:

Multigym with pec dec
Barbell with a lot of weights plus squat stands and bench
Running machine
Rowing machine
Static cycle
Punchbag - now broken as I've torn the lining- need to get another
Assorted dumbells

Thinking of getting a TV in there - can run this off my Transformer PRIME for films, music and tv etc.

Gives me plenty of training options for weights, circuit training and CV training.

No heating in there, so the winter months can need some psyching up - get's really cold!

Scoobys workshop looks great for info so book marked that. I had my gym membership included in my uni accommodation last year and been looking for a closer gym to my house, at a cricket club and £30 a month so seriously considering home gyming. As when im at home my rugby club's gym costs me just £16 a month. Not sure if my landlord would like the pull up bar though....

hodgey66 said:
Scoobys workshop looks great for info so book marked that. I had my gym membership included in my uni accommodation last year and been looking for a closer gym to my house, at a cricket club and £30 a month so seriously considering home gyming. As when im at home my rugby club's gym costs me just £16 a month. Not sure if my landlord would like the pull up bar though....

scooby stuff is always worth a look

When you guys want to take it to the next level you should get a power rack setup, new will cost a bit but if you go 2nd hand (gumtree) like me you might find a good deal. My equipment below cost £300 (+£20 petrol), I absolutely love it will never goto a gym again.

Bodymax CF475 Power Rack with Dip Handles
Lat Tower Attachment
Bodymax CF430 F/I/D Bench
Olympic Barbell
135kg of Olympic Plates

img20120718134410.jpg

img20120718134419.jpg

Got a power rack on eBay for a bargain as well . Needed a tiny bit of fixing , actually just assembling correct,ly. You should get yourself the row/lat attachment

Wish I had the room for a rack. I make do with York adjustable squat stands

When I build the out/play house at the end of the garden (5m x 6m). all my kit is going in that so I might be able to fit one in :)

sniffer66 said:

When I build the out/play house at the end of the garden (5m x 6m). all my kit is going in that so I might be able to fit one in :)[/QUOTE

you can get 1/2 racks

sniffer66 said:

When I build the out/play house at the end of the garden (5m x 6m). all my kit is going in that so I might be able to fit one in :)[/QUOTE

you can get 1/2 racks

I'm in the kids playroom at the moment and everything has to fold away after use. My squat stands spend most of the time in my bike shelter outside :(

Sell the kids ?

Another home gymer here have a prospot p100 In the garage with optional stack and lay pull down . Assortment of bars ez curl , Olympic dumbells , tricep rope and others . Does everything I want . and it makes you train harder in the winter when it's freezing :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom