Home Gym On Chipboard Floorboards

ArmchairPolymath

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have chipboard flooring in my bedroom, my weight is around 200lbs and I was thinking of buying a 382lbs home gym tomorrow for upstairs. Based on peoples experience, will I end up falling through the ceiling? As you can tell I am somewhat desperate and worried. Thanks for your time everyone.

I don’t think you will have any issues at all.
It’s the equivalent of another 2 adults in your room.
Just use the weight in a controlled manner by not dropping it and it should be ok.

If anything there could be potential damage or indentations from point loading, the points of contact between the weight and the floor surface. Maybe some pads would be useful in these areas to distribute the weight better?

It might be a bit OTT, but as I tend to overengineer things, how about laying down some extra chipboard flooring in the area the gym will be placed?

Yeah I was thinking of it like two extra people as well. Nothing wrong with over-engineering, and it does seem like a good idea, but I'm unable to do it at the moment, so I guess I'll be putting some pads down instead. Thanks for all the advice everyone. If the worst happens, I will let you know, or then again, maybe I won't be able too. Time to put it to the experimental test.

But of course there are some experiments that one just shouldn't do, like not wearing P.P.E., and even though we can fool ourselves, nature cannot be fooled. So I ain't risking it, I'm gonna put it downstairs instead. Not ideal, but better to be safe than sorry. Don't listen to the government, listen to the science. Thanks for reading and replying. I hope that one day all people will have decent floorboards and wood products. Goodnight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom