Home Gym Advice

Reaction score
I am nearing 40 and my physical health has been declining! I have 3 young children and have spent the last 8 years failing to get to the gym, and paying for the privilege. I have accepted that I cannot leave the house, and so I am slowly building a home gym in my garden shed. It is working, as I am able to take the baby monitor out there with me and can exercise whilst being around if the kids wake up. I have limited ceiling height which means I can't get a huge multigym or pullup bar in there, so I am looking for advice on what to buy. I currently have a rower, treadmill, and turbo trainer bike. I have space for one more machine/bench/multigym(small) - I think a weights bench of some sort would be best(?) and want to maximize what I get from the space. The ceiling is on a slant from 1.9m at the lowest to 2.1m at the highest. I am pretty new to any sort of weight lifting (I have previously always played cardio sports, so I looking to get started with a bit of weight lifting but mainly for full body strengthening and health, not for 'bodybuilding' (hope that makes sense).

So my question is... bearing in mind the height restriction that I have, what weights bench or multigym would you recommend I get?

For starters, get a good adjustable bench. Not the flimsy argos types, something that will hold you and a good amount of weight. Bonus points if it has decline, but incline is a must.

A good set of solid dumbbells, spinlock or collars is fine. Plenty of iron weights, enough to load each dumbbell between 40-50kg.

You can pretty much tackle your entire body with a set up like this and it will hold it's value being iron.

Thanks. What about adjustable dumbbells (thinking of the space saving) I will get decent quality, I'm happy to spend on good quality

Thanks. What about adjustable dumbbells (thinking of the space saving) I will get decent quality, I'm happy to spend on good quality

Powerblocks are the industry favourite, but can get expensive when you upgrade to 30-50kg.

If it’s a long term thing, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy something like that.

We do have a good home gym thread here which may give you some ideas.

'
I'm not into 'Bodybuilding' just wanting to keep toned, so I bought these 20kg Adjustable Dumbells in 2kg increments at £299....also bought the dumbell stand....very good quality and excellent service from this company..... BRAINGAIN | PAIR 20kg Adjustable Dumbbell | Home Workout Equipment

I'm also going to get the Incline/Decline Bench too and at £129 is a good price ..... BRAINGAIN | Adjustable Bench | Perfect for home workouts

Last edited:
Those selectable dumbbells do look convenient but they get so expensive if you want much weight! I have a 60kg spinlock type set I got second hand which is the next best thing and much cheaper. Like this: Body Power 45Kg Spinlock Pro-Style Dumbbell Weight Set

Hi! (to give context I'm a physical therapist and mountain athlete and also about age 40!)
My answer about the gym is that if your motivation is there you don't really need much - but you do need enough to keep things interesting. I would go for a bar, a bench, kettlebells, a set of gymnastic rings, a thick yoga mat and a box. Rings are very versatile and there is loads you can do at low level and with feet on ground especially for stability and for countering the front of chest/shoulders restrictions that most people develop with age.

Then my general suggestions are:
1. work on full body
2. address technique, posture and muscle balance as much as strength
3. progress gradually to avoid set-backs such as tendon injury
4. get sorted with your micronutrition with broad spectrum ingredients that support aging, cell repair, anti-oxidants, natural anti-inflams etc
5. Be more focussed on consistent, gradual long-term basics than looking too much for the next bit of kit... you really don't need much!

I hope that helps give a few ideas and encouragement.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to save cash then buy some resistance bands, I've been doing kettlebells for years, and pressups with 20kg vests on, but the resistance bands are great (I'm 52) and I've just done this routine before -

5x
10 Pressups with 20kg vest on, 10 squats with 50kg vest on

3x
(5x) 10 Deadlifts @ 220lb
(5x) 10 narrow grip Lat pull down @335lb
10 Facepull (thumbs facing face) @ 110lb
(5x) 10 Bicep curl @ 115lb (facing away from the door)

I've basically got 5 sets of these -
link

and a pack of these so i can attach them.. :)
link

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I agree with looking into smaller, cheaper (not cheap quality) equipment first, and then perhaps increasing the expenditure as and when your enthusiasm and routine requires it. It would be a shame to spend hundreds on equipment you end up not using or even needing. I would spend in proportion to your seriousness and requirements.

Examine your goals, if you're a lifting novice training at home that just wants to improve body composition you wouldn't necessarily need to train powerlifter-style with a bench, barbell, squat rack, deadlifting platform, and hundreds pounds of plates etc. An adjustable dumbbell set (that go up to maybe 20-25kg each), some bands and maybe some floor matting might be all you need to start with.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom