1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home gallery on pioneer 435 xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by BIGMAX, May 3, 2005.

1. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

I have some pictures stored on an sd card and have an sd card adapter which plugs into the pc card slot of the xde. I am trying to view these pictures on the home gallery but it doesn't let me open the file with the pictures. When I connect my digital camera to the computer, it lets me transfer the images from the sd card but won't let me just view the pictures.

I don't know whether my sd card is at fault or the sd card adapter that goes into the xde.

Has anybody had the same probs or know what I can do to get these pictures up on the gallery ?

2. hshortt

hshortt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've a similar problem. My SD card is find though as I can read the pictures in the PC no problem. But when the SD is in the card adapter and in the receiver, the receiver cannot read the card at all.

I've not really investigated the issue, but I will!

Cheers

3. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hi,

I had this problem too!

I tried a Smart media card from my old camera in it and it worked fine.

The problem was due to the size of the images on my newer 5meg pixel SD card camera.

What you need to do is change the picture settings within your camera to meet the following criteria,

1,Size needs to be 2400x1800 or LOWER.

2,The images should be in jpg or jpeg (which they should be anyway, but check this)

Hope this helped you! :smashin:

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I checked the sizes of the pictures taken on my camera but they were all within the sizes required which are printed in the manual. Another member on here has used an sd card with adapter and has had no problem so I just don't know why it won't work.

5. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hi,

Are the images in Jpeg format and if so I would suspect the reader, is it a PCMCIA type 2?

What format information is displayed about the images on the Pio, does the media box even see the card?

You mention transfering the images to the PC, can you view the pictures this way?

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

Hi Dr HTPC,

The images are jpegs and I am using a PCMCIA sd & mm card adapter. I presume its a type 2 - another forum member uses one of these and has no problems.

when I put the adapter in with the sd card, the media box goes into home gallery mode and shows a picture of a file with DCIM (i think). When I enter this file it comes up as another file RAW but then it doesn't give me an option to enter into this.

When I connect my camera to the pc, the same type of thing happens where I can't actually open the pictures from the file (the same thing happens as did with the tv) but I can transfer them onto the pc - this is when I am able to view the pics. But I would have thought I should be able just to view these pictures before transferring. Maybe its the actual sd card i am using. I havn't got a clue.

What you think ?

7. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hmm, possibly the SD card but you can actually access the card and eventually see the pics after a transfer to PC.

Seems like the storage format on the SD card is not compatible with the Xde but is with your PC software, i presume you are able to veiw the pictures through software provided with your camera.

I would look at the settings on the camera and see if changing them will make the storage folder compatible along with trying a fresh format of the card!

Should you be able to view the pictures before transfer to the PC?

If so then try a different SD card.

8. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for your time on this, i've tried looking for ways of altering my camera settings but it's not a great camera and theres not many things I can change. I have formatted my existing sd card with no solution so I will have to try another one. I will check if there are different types of sd card that will be compatible with the xde. I presume the adapter is ok as the xde accepts that a pc card is inserted ?

9. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi Bigmax,got your PM,sorry I've been out!I obviously use the 'integral' multimedia SD card adapter as yourself,with a 'Viking' SD card.Initially I had problems inserting the adapter,but then found it was necessary to insert it upside down,then I couldn't open any pictures.I read the manual and discovered my Pentax S5i was creating JPEGS at 2560x1920 pixels which was too large for the XDE so I have downsized the Pentax to taking pictures at 2048x1536 pixels,again as JPEGS.I've had no problems since so I'm afraid I'm not sure why you are experiencing problems.My next challenge is to find a program that will allow me to continue taking photos at the higher resolution on the Pentax,for printing,and then downsize them for showing on the XDE.I'm sure its probably easy I just haven't had the time to investigate it.Good luck
    Regards
    Ian

10. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hi Bigmax,

It seems that your camera may not be producing the correct DCF format as i suspected so nother solution for you to try,

The PDP-435XDE & PDP-505XDE can display JPEG and JPG files, however not all JPEG or JPG files are the same...

The system can only display files that conform to the JPEG-DCF format. DCF stands for Design rule for Camera File system where the files are just like normal JPEG files with extra information added to the file. This information includes details about the picture that the screen must have to display the picture.

If your digital camera does not conform to this standard or you have lost the DCF information in your files, (editing the file on your PC can do this), then you can add fake DCF information to your files using your computer and some extra software.

There is a demo version which can be downloaded from;
    http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html#TVwriter

You will need to copy the files from your camera to your PC, tweak them with the TVwriter software, and then copy them back to your memory card then put the memory card into the reader/XDE.

Hope this helps!

11. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers mate,

I will have a try at all that and see what I can do. Thank you again for all your help.

BM.

12. vicente

vicente
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I had the same problems. I bought a HAMA multicard reader and the plasma recognized the PCMCIA card but did'n show any files or directories from my MS Pro card.

I switched the Hama for a Sandisk and had the same problem.

My dealer tried them and had the same results, so he found a PCMCIA card that works that is.... the SITECOM PC200 Multi Memory PC card.

Anyway it only reads files of less than 4 megapixels.

Pioneer should post somewhere the cards that the plasma can read. It's been timewasting to find one mark that works. It seems that only a few ones operate correctly. If you guys have one that works, please post the mark and model.

I hope this could help.

Regards

Vicente (Spain)

13. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I bought from Lfnac in southern spain a pcmia 2 adapter to sony memory sticks for which I only paid 10 € and works fine with digital camera but having said that it wont replay my video sequences stored in the memory card which is a bit of pain really. but otherwise ok.

regards

Joe Rubido

14. Balders007

Balders007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem with me. Can't get the Home Gallery working.

I have already tried everything suggested here on my 435 XDE.

I bought a PCMIA Type II multi card reader f(on e-bay £5.40 + postage from the US as opposed to £40ish here in the UK). It works fine directly into my laptop and reads all my SD cards with no problem.

My camera is a Konica 400 (4.0MP) so the images at 2304 X 1704 are within the limits mentioned in the Pioneer manual. The JPEG images are DCF compatible so it's not that either.

I am really pleased with the 435XDE but at the price, they could have included a reader if it is a case that only certain manufacturers adapters or cards are recognised by the Media Receiver.

I have emailed Pioneer Customer Support so if I get anywhere I'll let everybody know !

On the 435 side - anyone know how to get rid of the mild "buzz" from the display??? I've got my screen on an Alphason AG94/2-s stand but I don't think it's the stand making the noise.

:hiya:

15. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry didn't have time to read the whole thread so apologies if someone has suggested this, but you say the folder was labelled RAW, this means the images inside probably are uncompressed, and are therefore not in any form of JPEG. in your cameras settings there should be something like normal, fine, superfine and RAW (uncompressed), try changing this to one of the fine settings again.

again apologies if someone has mentioned this, scanned through and saw lots of JPG but no RAW!

16. Balders007

Balders007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now heard back from Pioneer. Apparently the PCMIA Type II card I got in from the US did not comply with Type 2 memory standards. This is allegedly the reason it did not work. After I pressed they suggested the following from Maplin. It's £24.99 but it works !! The pictures look great on a big screen so whilst it was a pain - it's worth the extra ££ to finally be able to view them this way....
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Criteria=rv29&doy=18m5

17. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Balders,

So if I get this new PCMIA card they are suggesting it will be able to show the pictures stored on my current sd card which I have not been able to open on the gallery with my current PCMIA adapter.

Strange one as other forum members have been able to display their sd card pictures on the home gallery using the exact same adapter as the one I have currently got.

I am all confused and not sure if I want to keep spending extra on cards which may or may not work.

18. Balders007

Balders007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigMax

I can't say for certain but the adapter certainly worked for me where a prior one (which was fine in my PC) didn't.

I actually emailed Pioneer direct via the Pioneer web site and pressed them to recommending an adapter that worked and this is the one they came back with. Had it not worked I would have been back on to them like a shot to pay for my outlay! Fortunately it wasn't needed though.

I doubt very much that it's the SD card as the same card which didn't work in my 1st adapter was fine in the 2nd so you would be able to view any pictures already stored on the card.

Good luck ! :thumbsup:

19. Geekster

Geekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I originally had the very same problem, I have the PDP-435XDE and a Canon 300D camera. The problem is with the Canons fine and large setting, (oo err) the jpg’s resolution is just too massive for the screen to handle. If you look in the plasma manual you will see the max res the screen will display is 2400x 1800 for landscape pics. So you resize you pics to this size on your PC using your favourite photo software and copy them back to your card, push it into the PCMCIA slot and it still wont work !
    The problem is now you have lost the DCF information in your files, to add this back in you need this program:

http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html#TVwriter

Run all your resized pics through this fantastic program copy the pics back to your card and bingo, there is the slideshow.

A couple of things I have found.

1 Use the ‘ACTIONS’ feature in Photoshop to create an action that will batch resize all your photos in one go, create two of these, 1 for landscape 1 for portrait pictures. Otherwise you will spend the rest of your life resizing pictures. (I can email these to anyone who wants them)

2 Check the dimensions of your new pics are in tolerance, this saves you from going mad. (2400 x 1800) or (1200 x 1800)

3 If you tick the ‘thumbnail option’ in the TVwriter program the jpg’s will take an age to open in the initial thumbnail screen. Just leave that bit unchecked.

4 This will work, I promise. If you need any advice drop me an email (include a picture of girl friend) and I will try to help.

20. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'm glad you found this utility of use, my friend!

I think a lot of Ppl are also having problems with the reader cards not being compatible.

I have a card bought from maplins for about £25 and works with no problems model sitecom PC-200 V2.

Regards,

Dr.

21. Geekster

Geekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been using the TVwriter software since Jan 05, when the TV arrived. I haven't found anything else that can do the job. As for the PCMCIA card adapter I got one that works perfectly for £8 delivered for this bloke on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/digisland

It took 7 days to turn up (from Hong Kong) but for £8 DELIVERED that is not too bad. Anyone found a cheaper one?

Mick

22. Hobbyfilmer

Hobbyfilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vincente,
    I face the same problem: Using the HAMA 12in1 multicard reader and feeding it with different Sony MemorySticks Pro and DUO. This all works together with my notebook or with Sharp LC-45 GD1E and Panasonic TH-42PV500E Home Gallery function.
    So I cannot really believe, the malfunction is due to the memory card or PC card adapter I am using.
    In their marketing information Pioneer is claiming that "most" PC/memory cards are compatible, but when I asked them (after I had bought the XDE), I got no information on what should work.
    I would not mind bying a new card reader (if I get the guarantee that it works), but I am stuck :mad: with the Pioneer XDE and my Sony camera.

23. Hobbyfilmer

Hobbyfilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mick,

what memory cards are you using ? Sony MemoryStick DUO? What type ?

24. Hobbyfilmer

Hobbyfilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Balders007,
    what memory cards are you using ? Sony MemoryStick DUO ?

25. Geekster

Geekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Hobbyfilmer

I am using compact flash cards, 256MB and 1GB 'standard speed' and 80x Ultra2 CF cards. Hope this helps.

Mick