1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Entertainment System, from scratch

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by j.moghisi, Apr 11, 2005.

1. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am new to the whole arena of Home Entertainment, and I just wanted some good advice.

I'm looking for a Panasonic TH42PW7. Firstly any cheap places you know of to get this?

Now for the more important matters...Should I get this with the scart terminal board or the JS Scart to VGA converter, bearing in mind i would like to connect my PC to this display from time to time as well? Is there a large difference in picture quality? I want to connect my Digital Satellite Receiver and my FreeView box to this.

I also have a VCR and a KISS DivX DVD Player (with component output and progressive scan). Should I also connect the VCR via the scart adapter or what? Would it be best to get rid of the VCR as a whole?? The DVD player...I want to connect it to the Plasma with component as I have read this is best, but which board(s) do I require for the screen? Does it have to be RCA or BNC, and which is better? The connectors on the DVD player for component video look like RCA plugs but I am not sure?! Can you supply a link showing the difference?

Finally, I am getting an AV Receiver with a set of speakers. It accepts the digital inputs from the DVD Player, but how would I have to connect everything else. Would I need a stereo cable from each other device or just the Plasma screen? Does the plasma screen even have an Audio Output anyway?!?! Moreover, the Receiver claims to have 4 video inputs and also s-video inputs. What are these for? Does it mean I could connect the video outputs to the Plasma Screen, and all the inputs to my DVD and VCR?!?!?!

The products I am wishing to get are as follows:

Panasonic TH42PW7
    Scart Input Board or JS Converter????
    Component Input Board RCA/BNC?? or Component+S-Video Input board???
    Alphason AG94-2-S Plasma Stand
    Philips DTR500 Digital Freeview Set-Top Box
    Sony STR-DE697 Receiver - http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...ponents/HFC+Receiver&productsku=STRDE697B.CEK
    Sony SA-VS300H Speakers - http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...+Cinema+Surround+Kit&productsku=SAVS300HFN.YG

Will these all probably work together? Is there any recommendations on what scart leads to get. I also will need a scart splitter, what good makes are there? Would it matter if I got some cheap £3 ones off eBay??

Thank you all very much for your help. I know this is a lot to ask for, but us n00bs need a lot of help!

2. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, are these speakers too good for the receiver. I ask this because I heard the receiver is very good value for money, but not all that great...Would it be wiser to get cheaper speakers?

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    loads of questions in there! :)......dvd via component is best and bnc or rca will do equally well and bnc is much cheaper purely because it it is supplied by panasonic commercial division as opposed to the consumer bit. ditch the vcr unless you realy need it. your kit will connect to teh amp for sound directly via optical or coax digital leads or stereo rca cables (red/white). You can also input svideo and component into some amps and use it as a vido switch to minimise leads going the screen. your free view box will be best via the js rgb to vga converter but you will need to unplug this or get a vga splitter to plug in the pc......or you could go freevie to scart..which is not quite so good but it is good....well thats a start anyway :)

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Also... you can get a second pc input terminal board, or a DVI terminal board for your pc connection.

5. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i buy terminal boards with bnc connectors, how do i connect my dvd player that has component rca connectors?

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    there are two ways...the best is to get cables that are rca to bnc...av sales do them fro about £40....or you can buy adapters for a rca to rca cable...they cost about £6 for a set of 4.

7. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the following setup be wise then:

DVD => TV via Composite (with Progressive Scan enabled)
    VCR => TV S-Video Connection
    Freeview and Digital Satellite Receiver => TV via Scart OR JS Scart to VGA Converter

DVD => Speaker system via Optical (is this better than Coaxial?)
    VCR => Speaker System via Analogue Stereo
    Freeview Box and Satellite Receiver => TV via scart => Sound System via Analogue Stereo

???Is there another way to get as good quality pictures without using so many wires???

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    ok, you mean component not composite for the dvd...not sure what you are saying about freeview and sat box (is this one box?)...you have being connected in two ways...js and scart.
    With regard to optical vs coax.....coax seems to be favourite but I can't tell the difference.

9. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea i meant component...the freeview and sat box are seperate. I was asking whether to connect with scart terminal board or with JS converter (i should have made this more clear).

Coax is cheaper atm, so i'll stick with that.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    ah sorry OK i see, well you can always try scart first and see what you think....i reckon js is better but its personal preference that counts....you could also inroduce a scart switcher...search for quintro....to reduce leads going to teh screen