• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Entertainment Set-up Help

ramzelli

Standard Member
Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a home 5.1 surround sound system and would like some help how to set it up. I currently have a sony tv, blu-ray disk, sky hd box and a x-box kinect. I only have two HDMI ports on the back of the tv which are occupied by the sky box and the blu-ray disc with the x-box kinect into the tv via a scart.
Any ideas and advice on the best system to buy and set-up would be appreciated

ramzelli

Last edited:

mateyb

Standard Member
Hi
I brought the sony davdz330 5.1 surround sound system back in september and i can not fault it on bit - so easy to calibrate it as it comes with a calibration mic which takes less than 5 mins to set up plus it has the special funtion to work with the sony tv :0) i brought it from pc world for under £200 but you can get it cheaper online amd the bonus is its 1000w :0) i did have a bose companion which i thought was good but the sony blows it away :0) here are te specs

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-s.../dav-dz330/tab/manual#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

I hope this helps

Mateyb

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Do you have a budget in mind? As you already have a player, I would discount an all-in-one type device as you don't need another player. With the TV only having two HDMI connections and you not using an HD connection for the Xbox, I would look at a setup that can maximise both audio and video quality. Therefore I would look at a system that has HDMI switching and the ability to process audio over HDMI so you can get HD lossless audio from your bluray player.

The Sky HD box does not output DD5.1 over HDMI and therefore can be routed direct to the TV for video and separately to an amp/receiver for audio via either optical or digi-coax (if it's a new box). This also has the added advantage of allowing you to use the Sky HD box with the sound system off for occasional quiet listening e.g. watching the news, soaps etc. where surround sound isn't needed. The other HDMI input on the TV would be left for the amp/receiver to switch between your other HDMI sources as required.

Does your TV have Component video inputs (green/blue/red) or VGA (DSUB) PC inputs? This would maximise the Xbox 360 picture quality as at present you are not getting HD. I'm presuming your Xbox 360 is one of the original Core models. Do yourself a favour and buy either a Component video or VGA cable as appropriate, depending on what input your TV has. Trust me, the picture will be vastly improved.

Onkyo HTS-5305

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom