• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Entertainment (AV Receiver) Setup HELP!!!!!

verticaledge69

Standard Member
First, I am new to this forum, but have been browsing it for a few months...:hiya: Seems like alot of valuable information has been contibuted here.

I have a few questions, but guess I will start with my setup.

I have a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD TV. I only have 2 HDMI inputs on it. I also have a PS3, Blu-Ray Player (BDP-S300), Wii, and a Mot DVR. I just picked up the Yamaha RX-V663 (2 HDMI inputs, 1 output)

Initially, I was going to run my Blu-Ray and DVR to the HDMI inputs of the AV receiver, then HDMI to the TV. Then run HDMI from the PS3 to direct to the TV, as well as running component from the Wii direct to the TV. Then run Digital Optical from the TV to the receiver.

My thought doing the above was to have the ability to run audio from the PS3 and the Wii through the receiver.

The problem I have run into is it appears that the Digital audio is only available when using over the air broadcasting. Am I missing something here?

I guess to quit rambling so much, my question to everyone is,

What is the best method to setup everything I listed above?

Thanks for all your inputs.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You'll need to connect your 5.1 capable sources direct to the amp via a digital audio cable, either optical or digital co-ax. You could use the TV audio cable for the wii and freeview as both are 2.0 channel stereo so the best you will get is pseudo surround sound (Dolby ProLogic).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom