Home Demo Question

Trickdick

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to dive back into the world of hifi audio after many many years away.

My question is this. Reading several posts I regularly come across a phrase similar to " I didn't get on with them at home so returned the speakers/amp/..."

So how does this work? Do you have a friendly local hifi dealer who just lends out the kit, or are you buying it online and relying on distance selling rules to send it back if you don't like it?

I am based in the UK and looking for an all-in-one music streamer and speakers. Budget up to £3500 but preferably much less!

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

I went to Audio T and they will let you home demo the kit you want but you will probably have to leave a deposit which will be refunded when you return the kit. I would not buy expensive equipment without demoing at home first now.

Last edited:
Yes - most hifi stores invest in demo equipment for this reason. If there's any doubt over a sale - I'd rather a customer pay for / demo my equipment first before I have to break open the seal on another unit and get a full refund if they're not satisfied or want to try something different.

We deal online too - that means we end up shipping demo equipment around too for customers in your boat :)

Many dealers offer home demo and have done so for many years. I know we are now offering between 30 to 60 days on many of our products for home demonstration as we know it's been extremely hard for people to visit the showrooms. Simply contact our guy to discuss this further :smashin:

Have a listen to a system that sounds very good at the dealer.
Get a home demo, as sometimes the same system does not sound as as good at home- usually the issue is your listening room.

What sort of room do you have?

Photos would help for a recommendation.

Normally furnished room 4m x 3m firing across the narrow measurement. Would prefer small floorstanders.

I have the same size room and listening position is across the narrow measurment and i have kef q550 speakers which work well but lack in bass and need a sub they can go close to a wall as no rear port. probably better speakers out there but as said before audition at home and see what suits your room as it will not sound the same as in the store.

Okay. General consensus here would be to spend at least half or preferably more on speakers.

Options at different prices on the streamer/amps:
  • Denon DRA-800H £450
  • AudioLab 6000A Play £850
  • Bluesound Powernode 2021 £850
  • Marantz PM7000N £950
  • Roksan Atessa £1500
There are a lot of speakers out there from £750-£2000, a few you might like to consider.

Last edited:
Okay. General consensus here would be to spend at least half or preferably more on speakers.

Options at different prices on the streamer/amps:
  • Denon DRA-800H £450
  • AudioLab 6000A Play £850
  • Bluesound Powernode 2021 £850
  • Marantz PM7000N £950
  • Roksan Atessa £1500
There are a lot of speakers out there from £750-£2000, a few you might like to consider.
Thats interesting -not one of those streamers or speakers was on my shortlist! Thanks for the ideas

Good ideals on the Cyrus One HD Amp at the moment, £649 from £1049..

Given the requirement the I would also add the Nad C700 to the list plus some second hand PMC twenty.23 or Twenty5.23 or Neat Motive SX2/1 or possibly Sonus Faber Lumina III. These combos should come in on budget with a bit of searching and a haggle.

Edit - There are some Sonus Faber Sonetto III on Facebook market place at £2k (£3.3k new), add the c700 and you are still in budget (Sevenoaks have the c700 ex demo in their clearance section for £999).

Last edited:
Given the requirement the I would also add the Nad C700 to the list plus some second hand PMC twenty.23 or Twenty5.23 or Neat Motive SX2/1 or possibly Sonus Faber Lumina III. These combos should come in on budget with a bit of searching and a haggle.

Edit - There are some Sonus Faber Sonetto III on Facebook market place at £2k (£3.3k new), add the c700 and you are still in budget (Sevenoaks have the c700 ex demo in their clearance section for £999).
The NAD C700 is on my list.I'm trying to arrange a demo, but the nearest NAD stockist is a couple of hours away! I love the look of the Sonus Fabers but once again I need to find a local stockist.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the C700.

Very tempting with the Concept 50s. Just under budget.

@Trickdick speakers (and their interaction with your room) typically make the biggest difference in sound signature. The Sonus Faber are typically very good with vocals so if you like Jazz, Girl and guitar, opera, folk then these may be your bag, but if you like dense metal tracks they may not be for you. Best to set up a few auditions in store and hone in on two or three combinations and then go round the loop again and finally do a home audition of your favourite combo.

Have fun and trust your ears.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom