Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Home demo of AVR300 - No CD Direct

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ChalkyCardiff, Jul 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Forum,

I want to listen to straight cd playback without processing and the amp bi-amped.

I have set the bi-amp up in the EX menu but when playing a cd and then pressing direct no sound comes out at all.

What am i doing wrong?? I am pressing the wrong buttons??

Thanks

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have the stereo analog outputs connected from the CD, or just a digital(coax/optical) connection?

If you connect the stereo analog outputs from the CD player to the CD analog inputs on the AVR300, it should work when selecting Stereo Direct mode. It's exactly how I play CDs on my AVR300 using a DV88+.

Dean

3. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've tried that and it works.Great!!!

Will straight stereo sound better this way than an opitical connection(which was what i was using)??

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    not possible to bypass processing when using optical connection i am afraid.

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is how I understand it, but someone should correct me if I'm wrong...

I think it depends on the quality of the DACs (Digital/Analog Convertor) in your player. If you use the analog outputs then you're utilizing the DACs in the player. If you're using the digital output, then you'utilizing the DACs in the AVR300 (which are very good Wolfson DACs).

Generally speaking, if you have a high quality CD player (especially something like an Arcam upsampling player), you're likely better off using the player's analog outputs. That is, you want to make use of the better DACs.

But these are guidelines. The best answer I can really give is to try both, and decide for yourself which sounds better.

I use an Arcam DV88+, and to me it sounds much better using the player's analog outs and setting the AVR to Stereo Direct.

HTH

Dean

6. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday i was comparing an AVR300 to 3805

Source was Arcam CD73

A/B digital/anlogue switching on the AVR300 sounded identical to me...... quite impressive for reciever decoding to match what is reviewed as a good CD player.
    On the Denon was another story...... the CD player was clearly superior.

So i guess the answer is as other have mentioned dependant on the CD player you have..... it seems unless it is a higher end one digital input returns very good results with the AVR300