• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

home demo JL audio f112 SVS sb-13ultra velodyne DD15+

I got a home demo of an SVS sb-13ultra and JL audio f112 12 inch sub. I have also demoed a velodyne DD15+ and let me tell you that I have never experienced bass like this in my house the JL audio beats everything that I have heard and owned in my house. The sound out of this 12 inch sub is amazing and it is beating 15 inch subs as well this sub defies belief it is so good I have just bought it. The bass just hits you in the chest just stunning I have been looking for a sub like this for years :thumbsup:

MemX

Congrats on your new purchase :)

Get some pics up if you have a chance!

xsnv

The reviews I've read suggest the JL only goes as low as 20Hz while the velodyne should be comfortable to 16hz. The Velodyne is very well reviewed and touted as one of the most capable 15"ers around so I'm surprised by your results.

Did you test them under similar conditions I.e were the velodyne and SB13 EQ'd? It seems contrary to the common literature (Russ's review in particular) to suggest the SB is lacking in 'upper bass'. If memory serves it can play up to 200hz !

Am I missing something with the JL's? Do they have a proprietary tech or innovation (like the sun fire subs or kk push-pull boundary pressure wave etc)?

Was dead cert on an SB13 or KK12012 but this has thrown thrown the proverbial spanner in the works.

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
I also find it hard to believe that the JL would be better than the DD15+

It's what you're happy with that counts though! :)

Last edited:

rszee

"I also find it hard to believe that the JL would be better than the DD15+"

You will be surprised what these subs can do. I own a F113 and before that a DD18 and i dont think im missing anything the DD18 had to offer. Maybe a couple of dbs as you get pre 20hz but the box is half its volume. All imo of course.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Just out of interest what was the prices of each sub if you don't mind.
Glad your happy that's all that counts.

I would like to say a big thanks to Nicholas and Dan from the home cinema centre. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have heard the sub at home. You will be sadly missed
And also thanks to Allan at Ideal AV
Pictures to follow

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Is the HCC closing down then, if so that's a shame Nick is a nice guy and sold me my M&K K4's used a few months back for a good price.

MemX

They seem to have a lot on Sale at the moment!

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
Saul Goodman said:
I also find it hard to believe that the JL would be better than the DD15+

It's what you're happy with that counts though! :)

Copied this from another AV site regarding the F113 sounds like it is a killer of a sub!

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/jl_fathom_f113.htm

Just recieved my JL-13 All I can say is this thing is a beast, I just sold a DD-18 I had for a few weeks here and it was noticably lighter than the JL Fathom. Hooked it up sending signal from my Denon 5803 Reciever / Amp And a Denon 3910 DVD player. Watched Nemo with my 4-yr old for the 1000-Th time , But like never before. The DD-18 Was nice and my SVS PB2- Plus2 where great! , But this Fahtom-13 brings Bass Fidelity to the next levels. My Dedicated Theatre Room " Sound Proofed " 16-Long 12- Wide and 8- Feet High. The sound presure was clean and the Bass was sooo Crisp. Amazing form such a small Box it Fits so nicely in my Room And Takes up so much Less space. Front Controls What a Concept!
Now I am considering picking up another before they raise the prices.

Last edited:

xsnv

sea surfer said:
Copied this from another AV site regarding the F113 sounds like it is a killer of a sub!

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/jl_fathom_f113.htm

Just recieved my JL-13 All I can say is this thing is a beast, I just sold a DD-18 I had for a few weeks here and it was noticably lighter than the JL Fathom. Hooked it up sending signal from my Denon 5803 Reciever / Amp And a Denon 3910 DVD player. Watched Nemo with my 4-yr old for the 1000-Th time , But like never before. The DD-18 Was nice and my SVS PB2- Plus2 where great! , But this Fahtom-13 brings Bass Fidelity to the next levels. My Dedicated Theatre Room " Sound Proofed " 16-Long 12- Wide and 8- Feet High. The sound presure was clean and the Bass was sooo Crisp. Amazing form such a small Box it Fits so nicely in my Room And Takes up so much Less space. Front Controls What a Concept!
Now I am considering picking up another before they raise the prices.

Deeper and louder than a PB 12 / 2

I've got to hear one of these.

samhain

It uses the W7 driver, which is interesting as I thought that driver was more tuned to a car audio environment. Looks pretty special mind you.

hoppaz

It uses the W7 driver, which is interesting as I thought that driver was more tuned to a car audio environment. Looks pretty special mind you.

Does it not have some form of "home cinema" tweaks of some sorts in its design?

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
that driver models nicely in a 65l box and at 20hz will hit 102db so pretty good.

samhain

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
very decent indeed
i was wrong the box size is about 65l which means it will hit 103dbs at 20hz thats with a qtc of 0.704. and the w713 in the same size box will hit 104.47 at 20hz. and a dual 13" in a 130l cab will hit 110.437 at 20hz, so thats pretty impressive and with a nice 29mm xmax on the 12 and 32 on the 13.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures :arty:

Attachments

• Jl1.1.jpg
    Jl1.1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 892
  • Jl2.2.jpg
    Jl2.2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Jl3.3.jpg
    Jl3.3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,420
  • Jl4.4.jpg
    Jl4.4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 892
  • Jl5.5.jpg
    Jl5.5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,054

shah1

Banned
Here are some pictures :arty:

What speakers are you using? That sub is awesome, had the opportunity to listen to both f112 & f113 at Allans (Ideal AV) and was gobsmacked when the bass dropped :eek: truly amazing, but they sure ain't cheap :thumbsdow

MattSPL

Nice sub. Congrats :smashin:
I had one a couple of years ago, and it was flat(by ear) to 16hz, and still had output at 12.5hz in my room.

To answer a question i saw in another thread somewhere about a subsonic filter cutting off the low bass, the Fathom subs do have some sort of filter to protect the driver, as do a lot of subs. Its around 10 or 12hz though. Play a 10hz tone, and the driver doesn't move much, play tones above that, and the driver shows its huge excursion :D

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Nice sub. Congrats :smashin:
I had one a couple of years ago, and it was flat(by ear) to 16hz, and still had output at 12.5hz in my room.

To answer a question i saw in another thread somewhere about a subsonic filter cutting off the low bass, the Fathom subs do have some sort of filter to protect the driver, as do a lot of subs. Its around 10 or 12hz though. Play a 10hz tone, and the driver doesn't move much, play tones above that, and the driver shows its huge excursion :D
why you get rid of then if you dont mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom