Home contents query.

lynx

Senior Moderator
While obtaining a quote for contents, I'm being offered cover for myself, partner and immediate family. The next question I'm being asked is would i like to add a joint policy holder? What is the point of this question, am i missing something obvious? :confused:

lord-dudester

While obtaining a quote for contents, I'm being offered cover for myself, partner and immediate family. The next question I'm being asked is would i like to add a joint policy holder? What is the point of this question, am i missing something obvious? :confused:

apart from the obvious - giving someone else access to the policy, perhaps it could add additional benefits if you added your partner

lets say for example the policy gave the holder personal liability cover, then i would assume it would only give the policy holder that benefit and not your partner. maybe adding your partner to the policy would give them the benefit too?

or maybe lets say it covered the policy holder for £300 of camera cover whilst abroad, then once again i'd assume it meant the policy holder only and maybe adding your partner would give x2 £300 camera cover whilst abroad

a bit of a guess, but my life cover worked in a similar way

lynx

Senior Moderator
perhaps it could add additional benefits if you added your partner

They appear to be already recognising my partner without specifically adding them - cover for myself, partner and immediate family.

Strange situation which has still left me unclear. Probably me having a senior moment.

Thanks anyway.

Peridot

I don't understand it either, and what's more bizarre is that when I last renewed my home insurance adding Mrs Peridot as a joint policyholder caused the premium to reduce :confused:

Worth trying it to see what effect it has.

Ned Senior

OT slightly but still insurance...
I just got a motor quote online tonight and when I removed my parents the price shot up by £300.. I am 40 have driven for 23 years with one claim for when a yahoo snapped my mirror in his drunken wobblings home whilst I was parked 200 miles from my home and I have no convictions
My parents are only on there in case they need to borrow the car in emergency

I thought it was a disgrace £900 thereabouts

John7

It is to do with your mortgage lender - mine (C&G) state that they have to be named joint policyholder if you do not take out their own insurance cover (at double the price!).

Worth checking with your lender if they require to be named joint policyholder

dan1979

It just means it will be held by both of you - i.e. both of you can call up the company to discuss it. If one of you dies the policy transfers to the other etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom