Home Cinemas and VR , the future ?

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Its early days I know and there are a lot of questions about the feasibility of VR gaming with developing games for the system. With the FB purchace of Oculas the first shift from a non gaming format could be a future for this new relativity untried format. With Sony and Samsung bringing out VR systems in one form or another I was wondering if this might be the future of home cinema ? Every tv or PJ thead ive been into seems to be screen size is the ultimate goal. With VR watching films that part is solves as your whole FOV would be the screen would it not ?
Cheaper to than the 3k ive just dished out on a new panel , could be yhe ultimate home cinema experience if it takes hold and is cheap enough to deliver.

So could VR systems be the next step ?

No, you would need ridiculously high resolution panels just to emulate watching a 1080p screen never mind 4k, and you would look and feel like a **** (especially if trying to watch a film with other people).

Also I have to say that screen size is very far down the list of things that are generally discussed in the projector forum.

No, you would need ridiculously high resolution panels just to emulate watching a 1080p screen never mind 4k, and you would look and feel like a **** (especially if trying to watch a film with other people).

Also I have to say that screen size is very far down the list of things that are generally discussed in the projector forum.
Even more than this, there would be a complete lack of content.
Directors generally don't like filming in 3D because 3D cameras are so cumbersome. How cumbersome are VR cameras if they need to capture a 360(?) picture?

At least with 3D, you can do post conversion of 2D footage (getting better) if it wasn't shot in 3D. You can't convert a 2D film into VR if the left, right & back view for every scene was never filmed.

Even for fully cgi films, you're quadrupling the amount of work as they'd have to create left, right & back views for every single scene.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom