Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jayboro, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jayboro

jayboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for help...

I have just bought a Samsung LE32R41BDX and want a DVD player and surround sound system to go with it.

I have tried to get an all in one system but can't find one where the DVD will upscale to HD.

So I have opted for the Toshiba SD350E. I know there are better but this seems to be good value for money at £80.

Question is what surround sound system should I put with it? I have been looking at 2 mainly: Yamaha AV57 and Sony HT-SS600. Both are about the same price and similar output. Apart from that I don't have a clue what im looking for. Can anybody help or recommend a surround system please?
    Thanks

2. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayboro,

I'm in virtually the same boat as you. I have the same TV and DVD player (and believe me its a great DVD player for the TV). I too looked at the Yamaha AV57 mainly for it's price, but having talked to a few people the better option seems to be the Yamaha RX-457 with the NSP240 speakers. The Amp can be had for about £225 and the speakers for £80 if you do a quick search.

Amp
    http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=8923&sa=DEALTIME

Speakers
    http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP240

Hope this helps

3. jayboro

jayboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back so quickly. Had a look at the items you suggested and they do look nice. Although I have got to admit I don't have a clue what i'm looking for lol

Why is the Yammy you suggested almost twice the price of the AV57? Does is warrant such a price?

I notice that both Yamaha's are HDMI capable, how can that be when either the DVD or Sky HD when it comes will take up the HDMI port?

Decisions, decisions. Any more advice thankfully received please.

4. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful jayboro, neither of these amps have HDMI! If you want one with that then your looking at a hefty price tag. Cheapest ones I could find where £600 - £700. They have two HDMI inputs and one output. So you would put your DVD player and SKY HD into the Amp and then you just have one HDMI cable from your amp to the TV. It basically means that you don't have to keep swapping the cables from Sky HD or DVD at the back of the TV it's all done throught he amp.

If you go for the system I've suggested or the AV57 then what probably is the best setup is to have the DVD player plugged into the TV using Component cables (basically a cable that splits the video into three different signals) this will still allow you to upscale to 720p or 1080i with your DVD player. Have an optical cable from the DVD player to the Amp for the surround sound. For your sky at the moment (don't know if you've got Sky +) if it'ss just sky then your best off with Scart to you TV and stereo phono cables (the red and white ones) from the back of sky to the amp. That will give you Dolby prologic II from the amp. If Sky + then another optical cable instead of the stereo phono cables to give you Dolby digital. When Sky HD comes out and you go for that then you'll have the HDMI from that direct to your TV and optical cable to your amp.

I know it sounds daunting but it's not as bad as it sounds. Basically you end up with just the sound outputs from whatever device going to the amp and video to the TV because it has plenty of connections on that. Other Tvs don't have as many as the Samsung and that is why they go through the amp.

Hopefully this hasn't put you off going down this road, but you can see how it can get very expensive.

5. jayboro

jayboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TVM Daddy

Sounds complicated but once I start I reckon i will be able to suss it all out based on your sound advice (no pun intended). The TV came today and it looks great even through Sky Scart. Unfortunately, the DVD is out of stock so I will look at getting it from another stockist.

Wil probably order the AV57 (other may be just a bit too expensive).

Thanks for your help once again.

6. o27

o27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  7. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    o27 where did you get hold of it. They're pretty few and far between, only seen it on pixmania

8. jayboro

jayboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried ordering the HT-P70 from Pixmania after trying in vein to find it on another site. Couldn't find it anywhere. Got an email off Pix the next day saying they wanted proof of address, driving licence etc and it was an insecure email. Needless to say I didn't bother.

Now I can't get through to them and there is a delay of 5 days in delivery, that ended today and no sign.

Anybody else had such dealings with Pixmania? If I don't get the unit soon I will be cancelling and looking elsewhere. Can't be doing with slow service.

9. jayboro

jayboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave up on Pixmania they were absolutely CRAP! Bought AV57 from Petertyson and it is superb. Sound is very good for the price and so far nothing to grumble about