1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema with separate Hifi Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by airsine, Dec 4, 2002.

1. airsine

airsine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I did search for this topic, but apologise in advance if im repeating an existing thread.

My existing stereo amp needs upgrading and Im looking to get an AV receiver in its place. My problem is that due to the positioning of my existing HIFI speakers I will need an amp that can switch between using separate surround and stereo speakers i.e.

Stereo mode: 2x Existing HiFi Speakers
    Surround mode: 6x New Surround Speakers

Any help would be great as Im not even sure what search terms to hunt or even if there are products that can do this!

TIA

airsine

2. J.Gent

J.Gent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi read teh post a bit down "Need some advice on a stereo amplifier and 5.1 "

its very similar some questions are answered and im waiting for one too"

:p :p

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony AV amp has an A/B switch for the main stereo pair. If you were to attach your hi-fi speakers to the A and the surround L/R to B you can then switch between themat will - though not from the remote!

HTH,

_

4. airsine

airsine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sony amp are you using?

5. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's an STR-DB840 - though I wouldn't recommend it for music. I'm sure there must be other amps with the same thing though...

_

6. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would keep the amp separate, AV amps are pants at stereo and you will most likely not get very good stereo at all, what stereo amp are you using ?
    Most new av amps have speakers A/B so that wont be hard to do.

7. airsine

airsine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL my kit is pretty naff compared to most here, Ive had my old dual amp for over 12 years, but I do (marginally) redeem myself with a pair of minipods that I picked up a couple of years ago and a philips 880 for CD and DVD playback.

Im pretty stuck for space which is why Id like to ditch the hifi amp and Im sure even an AV amp would sound better than the ancient dual!

At the moment Im looking at the Sony 1080 or the Yamaha 630, and Im only just starting to think about surround speakers. The only firm conclusion Ive come to so far is that I need a bigger living room :)