1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema with HMDI?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Kefre, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Kefre

Kefre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Hope this is the right platform...

I am trying to get a home cinema package with HMDI connection. I've seen DVD players with HMDI, but no all in one systems. Are there any systems out there? My budget is about £500.

cheers :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would not advise going down the "all-in-one" route. With separate comonents it is easier to upgrade without breaking the bank. Because all-in-one systems invariably use non-standard components, you will probably have to scrap the lot and buy all over again when you get tired of it.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, what is the best advise on creating your own "all-in-one" system with HDMI for about £500. Cos this is what I'm looking for at some point (once I get bored of my HS50 with S-Video to my Dolby Digital system that *only* works from my Technics DVD player/ hi-fi).

Quite like that Sony effort (DAV-X1) that people have mentioned elsewhere on this board. It comes out in the summer for about $1000, so about £500 in sheer conversion. Although in *realworld* (ripoff britain) conversion, this probably means about £750. Still better than a year or two conversion of about $1=£0.98 for IT products :)

Cheers

4. Kefre

Kefre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you Nick :)

5. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Crivens, I know exactly what you mean about prices. I work for an AV distribution company and we are bringing in kit from the US, problem is the direct conversion doesn't work. As a video product there is 12% tax to add as well as VAT, shipping and the usual box shifters charge. Most US retail prices don't include tax as it varies state to state, from somewhere around 9% up to about 20% on some products in some states.

Sorry not much help to the OP but it is something that bugs me as well.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why on earth do you want HDMI????

7. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too would like a home cinema system with hdmi connections, after briefly doing a few searches acrossa number of engines, it is apparent that these are yet to be brought out, the closest one to arrival is the sony davx1- which is only a 2 speaker set up anyway.

seen a few amps/receivers with hdmi but we are talking £1000 + before any dvd or speakers added.

the lcd tv forums are full of posts with people wanting screens with hdmi connections, then surely it follows suit that you would want similar connectivity for home cinema kit.

or why wouldnt you- please explain hornydragon

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Unless your budget is very big, forget HDMI for the time being. Because it's so new, there's little in the way of home cinema systems incorporating it, and what there is, is very expensive.

The real advantage of HDMI will only be seen with HDTV, and despite all the hype, that is still quite a long way off. I'm sure someone will pop up very soon, and tell me about Sky's impending new HDTV service which launches later this year, but it's likely to be quite expensive, and there won't be much to watch. It will take at least 2 to 3 years before the likes of the BBC and ITV get heavily involved.

9. superman22

superman22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though the DAV-X1 is only two speakers - it has the effect of total surround sound - without the need for five. If you go for the Sony and fancy a new TV, there is quite a good deal at the moment. Although you have to buy a 23" or 40" S or V series.

10. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the specs for the DAV-X1 as I was considering buying one until I found that the US version does have a HMDI output, but on the UK version it has been replaced by a SCART socket.

Why no HMDI for the UK ????????

11. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becasue we Brits put up with it, thats why.....

12. mark palmer

mark palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking of getting the DAV X1 from the USA due to the HDMI and optical output. Question will a UK DVD work on a USA Player. Does anyone know of any USA sites which will ship to the UK. Why couldn't So :lease: ny put HDMI on the UK Model ?

13. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony is famous for contempt of the Euros, for example, instead of HDMI in one of their LCDs they put the jurassic SCART.

Anyway, i asked the question of this thread about 6 months ago but had about 1.5 responses then.

If one wants a promissing solution of a one box DVD and amp and prepared to wait, look at KiSS 688. It was promised in May 2004 and the last i spoke to them (kiss-technology.com) they said it will be ready end of 2005, so guess in the spring of 2006 you can buy this. the beaty (in theory of the KiSS 688) is that it is (supposed to be) a recorder and a Linux based hard-disk for beaming music around the house and from PC so the whole shpeel in one box.

14. mark palmer

mark palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have found a seller on ebay usa who will ship Sony Dav x1 to uk for $700 (cheap) . It has HDMI , will it play British DVDs ?
    :clap:

15. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can download the manual from www.sony.com maybe the specs will specify if it is multi region.

16. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Nope, nor will it if you use a modification service, as American Sony models are NTSC onl, whereas the UK / European version is dual format PAL/NTSC.

Also remember if importing from the states, that an item of this value will incure VAT @ 17.5% plus 5% duty from those nice customs peeps :mad: And it is 110v so will require a half decent UK to US mains transformer.

So is fine if you just want to play US R1 discs, and if it works out then the cheapest UK price version you`ve found....

All points worth considering:)

17. mark palmer

mark palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks , for that . I think I will stick to a UK specification. The chap in the Sony Store said component was nearlly as good as a HDMI .But I guess he would say that. The sound on the DAV X1 is awesome for 2 speakers , as good as the actual 5.1. Worth checking out

18. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell him that you will "nearly buy it".