Question Home Cinema Volume Fluctuates (LG LHB-725)

davidharris1983

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has ever come across a problem with home cinema volume which randomly increases or decreases on its own.

I should add that this occurs across many sources - Sky, Bluray, Video Games, Netflix being steamed from tablet to a chrome cast - everything!

Home cinema has two HDMI inputs which have xBone and PS4 input directly and the unit itself plays Blurays and is plugged into the ARC HDMI input of the tv. Sky & Chromecast have their own inputs to the tv and it happens on all of them.

It's very frustrating having to play volume jockey on the remote - over the course of a film it will happen several times.

Any advice or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Hello David. Have you found a solution to your problem with fluctuating volume? I have recently bought this LG LHB-725 and I am having same issues. Wondering whether I should report this issue to LG or you have found some simple solution?

Hi pgolofit

Unfortunately not. I have put up with the issue since April and finally got round to contacting LG about the issue.

They have refered me to a company called Equinox who appear to carry out warranty repairs for them. www.equinox.co.uk

Fingers crossed they can look at it and find a solution as it is very frustrating!

Id suggest contacting LG also as they may have to pass you on to them - I just got the details on the LG website.

Best of luck with it!

David

You mention Home Cinema, but you don't explain what you mean by that? Do you have a separate AV Receiver? If so ... what brand and model?

If all the devices are connected directly to the TV, then the problem could be the TV. But, if the devices are all connected to an AV Receiver then relayed by a single HDMI to the TV, then the problem is likely the AV Receiver.

Today most audio amp of any kind don't have the old fashioned Volume Control with Stops at the ends. Rather they have a digital volume control. When you turn the volume knob, which can turn endlessly in either direction without hitting a stop, it simply sends a pulse train (series of pulses) that cause a counter to go up or down. That counter is what is changing the volume. If the Counter has a loose connection or is picking up noise, it might count up or down randomly.

If the TV is actually the source of your audio, the the TV is probably the problem. However, just because the problem happens while you are watching TV doesn't mean the TV is the problem.

To make any usable comment, we would need to know all the equipment in the system, and what is connect to what and how.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi BlueWizard

Thanks for the info on the volume control I was not aware of that - this one has the volume control without any stoppers so that could be an issue.

Most of the info you ask is in the first post or the title of the thread - it's an LG LHB-725 which is a home theatre in a box. I'm not sure about the other poster but I have X box one and PS4 plugged directly into the 2 HDMI inputs, and everything else goes through an HDMI switcher to the TV and back to the unit via ARC / HDMI. The exception is chromecast which has its own HDMI slot in the TV. Audio is still passed down to the unit via ARC.

So, there's several sources from movies being played in the unit itself to anything else being passed its way that this happens to. For this reason I believe it's a fault with the head unit of the home theatre itself and not the tv. If I turn the home theatre off and have sound through the tv it doesn't happen which further strengthens the idea it's a home theatre fault.

I have an LG tv but not sure of the model number as I'm not home right now.

David

I also have the LHB725 unit and have been experiencing this issue too. It seems to happen more often during warmer weather. I'm certain that the issue had nothing to do with the volume knob, because the system volume level doesn't change (ie. It stays at 17), but the decibel level decreases noticeably. The subwoofer also is almost off during the low level periods.

My setup is a Chromecast and Steam Link in the HDMI inputs and the output going to a projector. The fluctuations happen with any and all inputs, including the built in DLNA media player, other apps, and even the analog aux input.

I contacted LG about this over a year ago, and they referred me to some warranty company, but I didn't want to send the unit in for who knows how long, so I've been dealing with it ever since.

It seems to me to be heat related. I might open it up and take a closer look now that the warranty is out.

Hey akastormseeker did you opened your system? I thin that we all have this overheating problem...i was thinking about and we may connect the fan to some 5v power source, so when the system powers on, the fan starts working not waiting the sensor signal that obviously have a misfailure...i was searching for the service manual but i didn't found any.

Good morning. For all those who have this issue with the volume, I managed to solve it by changing the rear fan of the home cinema. I bought a new fan with the same characteristics (50 x 50 x 15 mm) and spliced the cables to the power connector. This problem has not happened to me again! :) The only thing that I've noticed is that the fan only turns on when the volume level on the home cinema surpasses 25. When it reaches 26, it automatically activates at 100% speed, which is a bit noisy, but it's not noticeable if the volume is high enough. ;)

I bought this fan on Amazon and worked great:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom