1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema virgin.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Baggy69, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, well ive just took the plunge and got a sony DVD DVP-NS900V player. My problem now is, im that new to home cinema i dont know what amp and speakers to buy. The amp ive been looking at so far is a sony 1070. as for speakers i have no idea. My budget is around £800 for amp and speakers, can anyone suggest any thing to go for????

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You need to know what you're buying first. Don't just go on blind faith on other people's suggestions. Get some magazines, and whilst being sceptical of reviews you can usually draw up a good short list of stuff you want. Do some leg work too and go get some demo's of equipment.

Buying AV gear is something that requires patience. You need to do your research, your need to do some listening, then some price hunting, and then you should think about buying.

If the jargon confuses you, I'll point you here to this very useful and informative site.

PS. Don't ask Richer Sounds for help.

3. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pointon,
    I too would describe myself as a Home Cinema Virgin. Had a quick look at the site you recommended and saved it to 'my favourites' for a more thorough perusal later. It looks very informative.

Why the comment about Richer Sounds?

Brian.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you know what you want their prices are good and the shops provide a reasonable service although there have been a few complaints about their internet service.

They are box shifters (in the nicest possible way) and can possibly (picking words very carefully) point you in the direction of what they want to sell rather than what is most suitable for you.

Many hundreds of us got started in our AV through Richer Sounds

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because they will try and talk you into whatever they have in stock at that particular moment - which usually isn't much - so you'll end up with something cheap but probably not wanted.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian had the 1070 and sold it. Pointon loves the mission 7 (why you too never mentioned that i don't know) The 2 guys have answered this question many times, at around this budget, and know what's what. So 'ill see if they agree with what i recommend. On your budget i would go for the Mission cinema, 7 and the Yamaha 620. There are others, but i think you won't go wrong at the price, and it's in your budget.

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you know what you want, then RS can be a good place to get it.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Seems good to me but I am sure that I have read here that Richers have problems supplying the Mission set and have always sold out.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it might be out of you buget a little but if you can strecth it a little you should go for a yammaha dsp A2 and boston micro 90 speakers. unbelevable sound from this combi

chucky

10. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im the perpetual Sony 1070 supporter, so take my comments with the owner bias I have.

The 1070 is a great value machine. The features and power it has for the price are great. Make sure you do a search on 1070 on this forum to find the best price. But there are obviously a few machines that are better, but they always involve higher prices.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i sold my missions, i was left with 77ds and a bloke came up from blackburn and paid £100 for them, even though they were going for that at Rs, but none of them had them in stock. So i bet your right Ian,Baggy may have missed the boat :(

12. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck finding a Mission Cinema 7 pack now. But if you can get one there's no better speaker package for the money (bearing in mind they should be demanding twice that). The Yamaha DSPAX620 is a great amp. But at the moment I'd also advise comparing it with the Marantz SR5200, which also has Dolby Prologic 2 and 6.1 capabilities, so is a bit more attractive. There's always the Mission m70 series too.

I know I've had a go answering similar questions before, and I'm not being lazy or anything. I would always advise someone do a bit of digging and short listing themselves before making a decision.

To be honest I haven't been keeping up with what's what lately. I've been far too busy and I think I need a few hours surfing to re-familiarise myself with everything. Especially things non-Mission.

13. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the quick replys guys i will have to do a bit more looking into this. one more aid i could do with is some good web sites for cheap equipment.

14. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have something to confess. I sold my missions apart from the 77ds's to my brother in law for £220, when i found out Rs had them. I never told him about Rs offer,so he thought he was getting a real deal (he was, as Diane paid full price as a birthday gift). Well i bought a whathifi mag a few weeks a go, and they were in there At £380, so i tore the pages out ,and put them in the draw, as i wanted to show ste a review of the B&W's. Anyway, a week later ste is at mine having a few beers, and he goes in our kitchen for a fag. "Where's your lighter sean?" he asked. 'In the draw next to the cooker' i replied. Doh!!!! He brought the add in to show me, and i died a death. He did get a good deal still, but not as good as he first thought. Curse that richer sounds:mad:

16. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    RS in Hanley, Stoke on Trent have the missions in Stock!!

Well did the other day anyway when i bought me Pronto.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that the current speaker bargains are Acoustic Energy AV package 1 from Sound & Vision at £299 (down from £550) or AE pack 3 at £349 (down from £650).

Sound & Vision also have their detractors concerning their after sales service but I have dealt with them a few times and have ended up satisfied.

18. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you noticed any problems with the NS900? Sony have withdrawn that model because of a technical problem with the scart socket while playing 4:3 DVDs.

19. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well i just got back from my supplyer and he has not been abe to source the ns900 for me, he says he should have it next week.
    what they do have is the DAVS800 home cinema kit converted to multi region for £599. Is it any good or should i stick with the seperates ??? The price im getting the ns900 is £350 plus its been converted to multi region.

Thanks again :)

20. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been looking at the dav-s800 myself, it looks like a nice system and has some very good reviews.

I'd be surprised if your supplier does get the ns900 in stock next week, most places I've asked have had it on back order for 3 weeks and don't know when a model with the fault fixed will be released.

21. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAV range gets a very poor rap on this forum from the regulars. There are some good threads in this section which would make good reading.

Magazines seem to be treating all-in-ones as a catagory of their own and are not putting them up against separetes. Hence the better-than-they-should-be reviews.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone still looking for any Mission 77 range, RS in Sheffield has some too, but again I think they may be running low on the surrounds. And I believe they only have Cherry in stock now as well, although the prices still superb. :)

They may only have 774 floorstanders as well, but if bought as a cinema package they only cost an extra £50 over standard package, so cant be bad.

And no Im not a RS employee, its just I got mine today, and im still drooling, so I thought I would pass any info over to any other mission bargain hunter, good luck all. :)

23. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again, Well its good news, my supplyer just had a good delivery from sony and i picked up my ns900 yesterday and its working perfectly (so far), my supplyer said that sony have now fixed this problem. If some one has had a problem with this player can you tell me what disk it was with so i can give it a try.
    Haveing read thease forums for a couple of weeks now it seems that i should save a bit of extra money and get myself a DENON 3802 (ive started saving) but is it true that sony are just about to bring out a 1080 with pl2 ??? if so has anyone any info on this.

Thanks.

24. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just noticed that the ns900 is back on the sony website after being withdrawn, looks like thats a good sign that they may be ok :)

25. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great news, as I couldn't convince my insurance company to give me anything but the ns900, should be arriving next week.

There is an old thread about the initial problems with the ns900 here that mentions some of the problems in reasonable detail.

Looks like this player is working as it should now, I hope it lives up to it's excellent reviews :)