1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Virgin - Help me lose my cherry !!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lester, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Please be gentle, though.

I've read a few magazine articles, done a bit of sniffing around on the net and spoke to a couple of high-street dealers....and I'm thinking of the following set-up:

Panasonic TX32PK20 (Best Buy in this month's HCC)

Yamaha A5 Amp with KEF KHT 2005 Speaker Package (I liked the look of these at the dealers and my room's not that big)

DVD - no idea.

My questions are...

Are the amp and speakers right for each other in terms of performance ?

What's a suitable DVD for this set-up ? How much should I be looking to spend on it ? I was thinking £350-£450 ? What's best in this range ?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated before I shell-out three grand !!

Lester

2. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Lester

These are my views, every view is personal.

I have always gone for Sony TVs, I spent ages considering the Sony FX 60 and the Panasonics and eventually went for the Sony (after spending half an hour in a shop comparing the 50/100hzs of Panasonic and Sony). For me the Sony picture was much better. There is an updated FX60 now on the market - I think the FX65. Whichever you choose spend as much as you can on the tv.

I would suggest that the Yamaha is probably not going to do jusitice to your speakers, there are slightly better models from Sony and Dennon and I think that the Yamha A2 might now be within your price range especially if you lower the price of your DVD. Have a think about future proofing your amp. Some amps already have DDex and DTS es capabilities (I think that's what they are called) and some can matrix these affects.

You are prepared to spend quite a bit on your DVD player, I would come down a bit (very good models at Richer Sounds and good prices too). Spend the extra money on the most important units - the tv and amp.

Instead of Richer Sounds it might be worth going to Musival Images or Sevenoakes. If they know how much you are prepared to spend they will help you experiment almost for as long as you like.
    Hope the above helps, again the above are my views, others will have different experiences.

------------------
    Gotta do more, gotta be more!

3. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DSP-A5 and I think its a terrific amp - you ought to take your DVD player and demo a list of amps against a list of Speakers - I ended up buying Accoustic Energy Speakers (initally my pre-demo recommendations where Missions). I could suggest speakers but the list would be endless (and I picked my speakers because I use my DVD player to play alot of loud music!). Amp wise, as Asimm stated, there are plenty of amps to choose from (sub £500) - the Sony 940 was out of my price range & the Denon I tried just didn't sound as good as the DSP-A5 (IMHO) - try to get a demo on all amps with all speaker combinations, you'll be suprised how certain speakers sound far far better with certain amps :)

As for the TV, again I conccur with Assim - get a Sony (I would, but again my budget was tight).

Can't comment on the DVD players - I've seen £500 pioneer players through a Sony amp (mission speakers) & a 36inch Sony TV - sounds & looks fantastic, but the rig cost more than double what I have & I didn't think it looked or sounded twice as good....

Try before you buy - and have fun, most of the guys in the shops are really helpful; listen to them (accoasionally they'll try to pump you with end of the line stock, but usually they have your best interests in mind & they know what sounds good with what)

:)

Rob

4. WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a dealer demonstrate yamaha, tag and sony stuff.

after hearing the AVR100 acram, blows all away
    although the yamaha got close

may help ya!

5. gronow

gronow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have the KEF KHT speaker package you're on about and am well pleased with it. It also carries off the prize in Home Entertainment magazine's group test this month (out yesterday). Go for it.